Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: anyone running 38" and up tires, balancing ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

ATTN: anyone running 38\" and up tires, balancing ideas

Okay guys, I am upgrading from my worn out 36" hummer tires and going to 38x14.5/15 TSL/SX's. I have heard these can be a monster to balance. I have heard of using golf balls in the tire, balancing sand, and even steel shot for reloading shotgun shells. I am just wondering what technique you are using to balance your tire, I am running these on DD, so I have to have them balanced. I am open to any ideas or suggestions, just figured I would ask before I tried to have the monsters spin balanced.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: ATTN: anyone running 38\" and up tires, balancing ideas

Gladyou posted this, I'm getting my 38's next week /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

wish I could help, My 38.5x 14.5 TSL SX's are on beadlocks and aren't balanced.

I have heard the equal stuff works pretty well.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nobody would balance mine except a semi truck shop, so I didn't balance them, and I have no complaints, they roll fine down the road IMO.

16/38.5-15 TSLs here

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Mine were mounted and balanced before shipped to me by 4wpw. they also put the equal stuff in also and I have no signs of vibes from the tires (38's). Guess it works /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got 10 mph out of 6 golf balls in each tire. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Now I can do 75. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard the equal stuff works pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made a big diff on the 42's on Or2plays burban.
    Grant

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a box of 50 golf balls I bought for $20 I'm going to try in my 38's

I swear my tire guy said one of my tires if off by 62oz

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The powder bags worked fine for my buddy and I.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

My uncle owns a Tire shop and we put my 38.5's (Bias Ply) on thier best balancing equpiment and those tires will damn near bounce you out the seat at 75mph!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

What is this "equal" stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My uncle owns a Tire shop and we put my 38.5's (Bias Ply) on thier best balancing equpiment and those tires will damn near bounce you out the seat at 75mph!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

What is this "equal" stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Equal is a polymer powder that you put in the tire before mounting it on the rim. The stuff comes in little bags and you just throw the whole bag in and as you drive the bad disintegrates. As the wheel rotates the equal automatically disperses itself to the out of balance spots in the tire using the centrifugal force.

12. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Equal is a polymer powder that you put in the tire before mounting it on the rim. The stuff comes in little bags and you just throw the whole bag in and as you drive the bad disintegrates. As the wheel rotates the equal automatically disperses itself to the out of balance spots in the tire using the centrifugal force.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup thats the stuff! it works great, I run it in my 38's! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 39.5's are unbalanced, no golf balls, equal, or anything else. They have one spot where they are a little annoying (~52 mph) but anything faster or slower and it's all good. It'll cruise at 65 nice and smooth...

I'd mount the tires up and take it for a drive before you do anything as far as balancing. I think the lead weights amplify problems rather than help out when you get to the larger sizes. I have no proof of that, but it sure seems that way.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

14. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

There is alot out here if you search on CK5 or Pirate. The subject has been beat to death. If you wheel anyware ware you might loose a bead when its wet, don't use equil or any of those balancing powders/sands. They clump up and stick to the sidewall. We even had problems with it with condensation and oil/blow-by in a on board air system.

I have herd steel shot or BB's work very well.

Persionaly I use Golf balls in my 44's and they work great. I had one tire that was over 2 lbs off and it required 14 balls to get it ballanced. Had another tire that only needed 3 balls. So find yourself a bubble balander and figure out exactly how many you will need for each tire, no sence putting more in there than you need to.

I have also had trouble with the tires that have alot of weight in them when used in the front. When going around a corner all the stuff in them likes to slosh to one side and cause death-wobble.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

groove the tread blocks.

that's all I did and the ride is vastly improved.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I only balanced my 38x12.50's on the front. It took A LOT of weight per tire, but it was worth it IMO. I couldn't do more than 45 mph before it felt like my whole front end was gonna fall off! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I wish I would have done the rears too. They vibe pretty bad anything over 60 mph. But they are now "trail only" tires, so I don't think I'll be doing anything with them.

17. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i never could get my 36s smooth...till i took the weights off of all of them....turns out when wheelin aired down they weights will move around causing them to shake worse....ive had the best luck with nothing at all....

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I'd mount the tires up and take it for a drive before you do anything as far as balancing. I think the lead weights amplify problems rather than help out when you get to the larger sizes. I have no proof of that, but it sure seems that way...:)

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was actually thinking along those same lines. Given that a spin-balancer pin points the spot for a small amount of weight to be centered, usually between 0 & 1.5oz. Some of my wheels have 10+oz, which spread about 25% of the way around the wheel; way forward and aft of the area pin pointed by the balancer.
    So, in that light your theory makes sense. I'm gonna try ripping the weights off add see how she does..... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

That is the same thing I run in my 38x15/16.5 TSL radials /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif damn I run smooother theeaan a SUPER TUNER!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

20. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had my tires balanced and they put on the sticky weights on the inside of the rim. Only problem was the weights don't clear the calipers. On tire had 18oz of weight on it. Could I break the bead and stick the weights on the inside of the rim??? Or would they come off and trash the inside of the tire. I thought about using equal but the amount I need would be like $90.00 The only option I see is BB's. BTW I paided 4wheelparts to mount and balance my tires but they showed up in boxes instead of mounted and balanced /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif