Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attn: anyone who's gone TBI to carb on your trucks!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 13, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

hey guys, well...the motor is is..the manifold is on, gonna throw the headers and carb on tomm....now my question is...
    should i just use the stock wiring harness and only hook up the few necessary wires and leave the rest to dangle??? or should i get a harness from the wrecking yard out of an older non-TBI truck???? what did ya'll do??

also, i need to drop the dizzy in tomm. and im wondering the best way to do it...when i bough the motor the dist. was not there, so i can find TDC then install dizzy pointed at cylinder 1 right??? then some vaccuum lines, and a fuel line and i should be good to go i belive!!!!

well, thanks in advance ya'll
    ~Dave

2. 01maroonz71

nobody's done this???

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah. Its so easy a cave man could do it.

Need a HEI dist or dizzy? TBI dist wont work.
    Dont use the stock in tank pump without a regulator with a return line. Too much pressure for a carb
    Need to figgure out a way so your torque convertor will lock up..
    I am sure there is a bunch of other stuff you have to do to go back to the stone age.
    But i have never done this I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

4. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I can't think of a single good reason to do this. Especially if you are doing it to an 01. Carbs are less efficient, don't start as well, don't like to run at much of angle, (like what you'd find when off-road). Not to mention that pretty much any mechanic these days can diagnose & repair whatever ails your TBI.

Do what you want, but I need more convincing. :confused:

BTW, I'm switching TO TBI from my carb.

Later,
    Buddy

5. 01maroonz71

01...no sir, it's an 87...the 01 in my names is(was) my daily driver...the truck/motor in question is my offroad toy

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Still doesnt answer the Question as to why you would want a carb over tbi:confused:

7. 01maroonz71

my original TBI harness that came in the truck is chewed to hell, burnt, and cut all up...basically trashed b/c the guy who had it put in a a carbed motor. i want a carb so if im out in teh woods and something goes wrong i can fix it right there on the spot...TBI has left me stranded before....down here in FL there are no rocks or anything, just mud...so the fact that the carb can't run off camber is not a big deal.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I love those commercials.... :haha: