Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: BBQ'rs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by UseYourBlinker, Jun 20, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Attn: BBQ\'rs

I'm tired of the same old boring marinade's for my chicken. What are some thing's you guys/gals use?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Attn: BBQ\'rs

I use a blend of beer hot mustard and honey and I inject it into the chicken, I also do it with turkey before I deep fry it dang thats the only way to do a turkey....MMMMMMMM

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can't believe that all of Texas isn't on top of this post with all their dry rub recipes, probably all top secret.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

oh man there was a show on a few nights ago- either on The Discovery Channel- or HGTV, or The Learning Channel... BBQ championship of the USA- WICKED stuff they were cookin, but none of them really said what was in there sauce's.

I get mine from the local Butcher Shop- they make there own.
    I'll try to find out whats in it

Brandy

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Weird, but I was thinking the same thing!! I went to this "Taste of Amherst" festival today. There are about 20 restaurants with samples of their best foods. There was lots-o-chicken dishes. Whatever it is that they and everyone else uses, I have yet to come even close! And me with my George Forman grill and all!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm diggin' the new side pic Michelle, snoochy snoochy, I love all of Kevin Smiths junk.....

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Yup, "The Scream" artwork is gone. I'm over my "getting in touch with my artsy,intellectual, culture-oriented self" phase. It comes and goes. Art is part of my soul, but so isn't beer and heavy metal! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It's all about cultural diversity! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

"I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSE TO BE HERE TODAY!!" /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I rub mine with a mix of Wyler's chicken bullion, cayenne pepper and garlic powder - tastes great. I also like to marinate it in lime juice with a touch of Cuervo Gold.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Try using some dry rubs or get a smoker. Dry rubs are also excelent on tri tip. One thing I never do on meat that I grill is poke it with a fork or knife all that does is let out the natural juices.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Not unless you're pokin' it to fill it up with beer and honey mustard.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like the Jack Danials Grillin souse. I some times mix honey with it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Try the Tony Catchers more spice creole seasoning, you can get it at any grocery store, arond here not sure way up north though.
    A good sauce ie 1/3 jack or other bourbon or whiskey, 1/3 A-1 sauce of your favorite flavor, and 1/3 whorshitshire, or however in the heck you spell it! Let it marinade for 3-4 hours, do not do it too long or the alcohol will dry out the meat.
    One really good one I came up with is and I hope I remember it all, I don't have my 3rd cup of coffee in front of me yet. Get some Chinese hot pepper sauce, comes in a squeeze bottle, fresh squeezed orange juice, honey, brown sugar, juice from 2 lemons, and cumin, I think that is is it. When the sauce is done it should be a burnt orange color. Let it marinade for at least 12 hours.
    In a pinch I will use some of that Lowereys marinade, especially on pork.
    Fried turkeys, and chickens done the same way, garlic butter marinade.
    never been a big fan of mustard based sauces, I hear that is the norm up near Tenn.
    By the way, dry rub is good but for me it is mainly for brisket.

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Soak it in Yoshida's teriyaki sauce overnight........sprinkle a little bit of Emeril's essence (ever heard of that? www.foodtv.com has the recipe) on the chicken when you grill it. Yum......... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I like the 30min marinades...garlic and herb...mmmmmm yummy! It's good on chicken or steak...*drool*

15. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

For Chicken or country style pork ribs (thick cut ones).....for really quick, I use that McCormicks' Carribean Jerk....I use it dry mostly, but sometimes as a marinade with vinegar, oil, honey....Jerk seasoning is also available as a "paste" by some brands....it has hot pepper, brn sugar, etc....great on chicken...I also tried sitting the bird on a beer can (saw it on the TV)...I think that may be a kewl cookbook to own..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I baste chicken in melted butter mixed with garlic.
    You have to cook it over low heat, turn it often. and it takes a little longer to cook. But it comes out golden brown and crispy and tastes like BBQed fried ckicken.

17. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

i normally make it up as i go but i always inclue bbq sauce, wishtashire sauce ( spelling for sure) and then from there on i get creative.

18. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

any kind of soda makes an excellent base for a marinade. i used grape soda the other day on some tri-tip, and the crowd loved it. i wasn't sure how the grape flavor would go over, but it was a definite winner.
    coke, dr pepper, sprite, any kind you have in the fridge.
    the acids and carbonation make the meat tender, and the sugars and flavors really get in there.
    i poke the crap outta the meat first, then let it soak at least overnight. cook over a fairly hot fire, to sear in the goodness.

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OOH WEEE, I came up with a good base thanks to delta9,I took 1lb. of venison, or [​IMG] for you pusses who have someone else kill your meat and 8 OZ.'s caffine free diet Pepsi, 2 Tbs brown sugar,1/3 cup BBQ sauce,1 Tbs minced dried garlic, 1 Tbs Durkee 6 pepper blend and 1 Tbs johnny's seasoning salt... Mix in 1 gallon ziplock bag and let it sit overnight in the fridge... Yummy, it helps if you tenderize the meat w/ a meat hammer or stab w/ a fork for ultra absorbtion of flavor.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif And for the love of God just sear the steak on the outside and leave er' a little bloody on the inside..... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif I'm hooked thanks for the heads up on the pop trick Delta9, I used to use whiskey but that was such a waste.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Also I never measure my ingrediants, those are just rough estimates....

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

We once had chicken at a relatives house that had been marinated in 7up, garlic, and a bit of "liquid smoke" Darn tastey!!!