Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: carpenters... UPDATE at BOTTOM!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a few questions, here is the background first though...
    I am going to be building a wall around the pump for our pool. It has a deck over top of it so I just need to build the walls. The only problem is that the cement that the deck is over, is 3 inches longer than the deck. So how do I attach 2x4's to the cement since I can't dig a hole in the dirt? It has to be something relitivly cheap, I can't go out and buy special tools and all that. And secondly, when building the wall, how far apart do the 2x4's have to be? I remeber around 10"'s or something. Thanks, and please have patients because before when I would be building something, my dad would help me. Now he can't so I need advice. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Re: ATTN: carpenters...

do you have a hamer drill? or can you borrow one? Go buy a box of tapcons. and screw the 2x4 down, you can put the 2x4 16" on center or what ever works out it wont be the critacle for your aplacation. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Attach the bottom plate with CutNails or if your energetic use Wedge-Its or Red Heads,( There like a bolt that expands after you put it in)

Asfar as spacing 16" o.c. is normal, you don't save enough @ 24" o.c.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do you have a hamer drill? or can you borrow one? Go buy a box of tapcons. and screw the 2x4 down, you can put the 2x4 16" on center or what ever works out it wont be the critacle for your aplacation. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we have a hammer drill, can I buy tapcons at home depot? (thats one of the only places we have here for hardware) So with the tapcons, they are just like a bolt for cement or something? Do I drill a hole with the hammer drill, or do I use the hammer drill to insert them? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Attach the bottom plate with CutNails or if your energetic use Wedge-Its or Red Heads,( There like a bolt that expands after you put it in)

Asfar as spacing 16" o.c. is normal, you don't save enough @ 24" o.c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the cut nails, just nails I hammer in, made for cement?

How do I insert the wedge-its? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'm no carpenter but I would think you would start by laying a 2x4 down and drilling thru to the concrete and use concrete anchors to bolt it down. this will give you a point to which you can nail your vertical studs to. I think the standard spacing is 16" center to center on the studs.
    I built a 10' x 10' dog house 4 years ago like this and it's still standing!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you can get them in boxes or smaller packages, the come with there own drill bit. there a screew for concret. so chrck the head when your at the deapo and make sure you have one that will fitt good. a #10 ROBERTSON OR LARGE PHILPS and just put one every few feet.

just drill deep as you can with the bit if you dont and hit bottom youll snap the screw
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Darkshadow,
    That sounds like something that will work. I am just hoping they will have those here. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh thell have them for sure there very common, in the screw/bolt aile. For a 2x4 get at least a 3 inch screw.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thats, thats a relief /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I plan on insulating it too, we have insulation, but for the inside, should I cover it with more plywood, or can I just use sheets of plastic? Or maybe I could use drywall /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif So many thoughts...

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would lay down the frame as described above (screws into the conc.), sheath in plywood, cut the ins. to fit between studs and then maybe a moisture barrier (plastic would work), just as if you were framing a house. I am assuming you want to insulate to keep the pump from freezing? Just keep in mind that in that small space and being outdoors, you're not going to get a lot of R value out of the few square feet of ins. and should definitely still winterize that system. I would not use drywall for this application however. Good luck!

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The insulation is to keep it quieter from hearing it outside, and also to keep it semi-warm in there in the winter, we have a window that will be enclosed, so we can blow heat into the pump house from inside. What should I use overtop of the plastic moisture barrier? Or should I use nothing? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you could use anything really, since your never gunna see it really you could, have the plastic, 1/4" plywood, fiber board, hell tar paper if you want
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

If you want it to look finished you can cover it (I am assuming you mean the inside) with plywood or with tongue in groove planks or even some left over exterior siding.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I will probably just put on 1/8-1/4" plywood on the inside. I will be for supplies tomorrow, or wedsday. 1/2" plywood should be good on the outside right? Thanks for all your help, you guys have made my job alot easier! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

16. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Instead of plywood on the exterior you could use exterior siding, comes in big sheets like plywood but is more moisture resistant and looks better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well,
    I went to home hardware today and picked up some of those tapcons like darkshadow suggest, and 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. I also went to the paint store and picked up 3 gallons of paint. 2 for the pump house, and 1 for the windows on the house. Thanks for everyones help, and if I get in a jam, I'll be sure to ask /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

good stuff buddy let us know how it goes. after a few solo projects youll be able to do alot more home improvement as you get you confidence. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hopefully I will be able to start assembling everything on saturday. Tomorrow I will finish painting, and get the 2nd coat of paint on. I still have to come up with a design for the doors... wheres my paper and pencil when I need it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Post some pics when you're done. Once you get one of these projects under your belt it will make you a lot more confident for future projects, I bought my house 4 years ago with virtually no knowledge of carpentry or general construction skills, I have now remodeled the entire house myself with no help from anyone (with the exception of carpet).

It's a great feeling of accomplishment, I'll probably spend the next few years learning everything I need to do it myself on the K5 restoration. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif