Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: College Students, Grad Students, APT People!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Mar 9, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I am really debating on living in an apt or a house. Besides furnishing my wn stuff a house can be just as cheap rent wise as a apartment. I've lived in the dorms for 6 semesters now as convience and off of a scholarship. Thats coming to a close next semester and I am going to be taking out student loans and working a job to pay for housing. So should I grab an apartment--will it be another dorm of a bit more comfort? Or should I grab a house--too much of a hassle?

I have friends doing both so the doorway is open....Lets hear your experiences, pros and cons! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A decent apt. is like a nice dorm, or at least it is here. It is more comfortable then a dorm, but it is still cramped. Some of my friends live in an apt. and it is ok, but I think house live is better. Me and some of my buddies I met in the dorms last year are living in a house together and it is pretty sweet. (beside a couple roommates that we didn't pick, one's a slob, and the other is 5'3" [censored] talking troll)

I really like the house because you can party anytime you want, and our house is pretty hooked up. We have 6 people living in a 5 bedroom house. It gets cramped sometimes, but usually 2 or more of them are gone at one time. Rent is hight though. $1700 a month, but the house is pretty nice, and is pretty big. I personally like house life alot better then I would apt. life. That might be just me though.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm just trying to weigh out all the pros and cons right now... So far I've figure out from other friends that they all seem to prefer house life over their past apt. lives. I think even if I'd have an apt. I'd be over at my buddy's house rather than my apt. Also it gives me room to wrench on the blazer and not be harassed, althought I am at school to learn, not to wrench! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

a house is the way to go. no question about it.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've done both as a grad student and post-doc. Depends on how you like to live. A house is nice, but get an idea on what utility costs are going to be like before you tet into one, you don't want to be surprised when your electric bill comes the first month. If it's a question between an apartment by myself or sharing a house .. I'd take an apartment in a heartbeat, but that's just me.

I far prefer the duplex I have now over my old apartment, but I don't have a roomate. I live in a university town and there are whole subdivisions that are essentially duplex rental properties and you can find a decent place fairly reasonable - something you might look into. The deciding factor for me when I moved was a garage. A lot of apartment complexes that have garages won't let you work on your vehicle in them, some even in the parking lot (not that many actually enforce this) - check it out in the lease before you sign.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GET THE HOUSE!!! I will be getting a house or sharing a house when I return to Appalachian so that I can keep my "projects" in check and so I won't have to worry about finding a place to keep it or work on it.

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i would definatly want a house...but for the money i pay my apartment is worth it. 1000sqft for around 600 bucks a month in austin. around here i would pay at least 1500 a month for a decent house. plus i don't have to do any up keep or mow the lawn or anything. something breaks someone else has to fix it.