Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn. Engine Building Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABO, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

So I got the Crank and Connecting Rods redone for the engine I'm building and I'm measuring the Rod to Rod clearence on the crank, which is with in factory specs, but for high performance they recommend a greater gap. Now everything was balanced and I want to shave off .001 from the sides of each Rod. Will this drastically throw off the Balance?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It will not throw off the balance, but I also do not see a need to do it anyway if you have the factory clearance already.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I too don't see the need for this. The only real treatments I've seen done to rods are resizing them or shot peening them. I just went ARP crazy and got resized rods and left everything bone stock though. New bearings, pistons, and all that crap though.

4. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Thanks for all the info, I decided to go ahead and give them some more room hopefully It should be ok.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep this in mind, every place that there is extra clearance you lose more oil pressure. Loose fitting main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, rod side clearance, oil pump gears it all adds up to low oil pressure. Make sure you keep all the extra clearances to a minimum.