Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: Greg how did this 14B mount work out for ya?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Apr 8, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

That's part of my current setup on the truck.

The spring perch in that pic has a 2" offset to move the axle back....so the driveline angles from that change would get BETTER (less steep). Of course I'm also running a cv-style driveshaft, so the angle is somewhat irrelevant. The main advantage is the extra clearance at the leading edge of the rear wheelwell. 1st Gens are notorious for having the axle positioned very close to the front of the wheel opening for some reason....with larger tires, it becomes OBVIOUS that you're gonna hit. Now the rear tire is nicely centered in the opening.

I am also running the extended shackles (as you also noticed from my gallery, you REALLY study my pics, don't you?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Those longer shackles will allow the rear springs to flatten-out better than stock, and from what I've seen and heard....once you go to a compression-style shackle (ORD Shackle Flip) the stock shackle is really not long enough to do it's job anyway.

Theoretically, adding a longer shackle like that will rotate the pinion UP slightly, but I was unable to measure any change at the yoke with my anglefinder....so whatever the change is must be pretty minimal.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what springs are you running in the rear now? still relatively a 4" lift? or have you moved up more with the addition of the tires.

Well I noticed the shakles when you did them awhile back. MY 14B is laying in my garage in process of getting perches cut off so I'm looking for guidance on new perches. Contemplating making new ones and if I do if I should offset them or not.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

I'm still running a 4" lift in the rear.....ORD Shackle Flip and a set of stock K5 springs off an '89. They are softer than the 1st Gen ones....2" Body lift, and about 1" from the longer rear shackles.

The shackles weren't needed for clearance, I just wanted to set the "stance" of the truck with a slight forward rake. The D60 axletubes are larger than the D44, so when the 60 went under it gave me some unwanted lift up front.....the rear shackles just evened everything back out.

I'd really like to find a way to get rid of about 1" of lift in the springs...the truck seems too high for the amount of tire I'm running, and I don't want anything bigger than 38's.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I made my own perches as well. I made them out of 2.5 x 2.5 x .25 tubing just like Greg. I cut the circle with a 3.5" hole saw (the axle tube isn't 3.5" but it still works good). When I cut the circle I clamped the 2 pieces together and cut them both at the same time. That ended up giving me about .5" of lift over the stock cast perches. I also drilled a extra set of holes 1" in front of the standard holes to move the axle back 1". I think it is about right but I have more trimmed from the front fender than Greg does (I went all the way to the strut bar). You can talk a look at how it looks in my webshots.