Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: Grim Reaper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conv76jimmy, Aug 31, 2000.

1. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone can tell all the Smog Equipment that goes onto the Motor (for California) and if it's all interchangeable with each other (all 350's) or do you have to get from the smae year as you Truck or Car.

Thanks,
    Junior

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

2. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Re: Emission Equipment

I don't think that it matters if it's from the same year or not. As long as you have all of the emission equipment required for that car on and working it should be ok. I know that Kaliforia is pretty strict with emissions so you should just go down to the state or who ever does the emission testing and ask them "what is required in terms of equipment for my Blazer" and they should be able to tell you.

Getsome

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Junior,
    I had a heck of a time trying to get the state of Calif to tell lme what is required on a particular vehicle. Never did succeed. Finally went to a friendly test station and asked them to look it up for me. Just had to trust that they know what they are doing. You have to know the year, Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), and whether it was originally a calif vehicle or a 49 state. On the older Blazers it is much better if it is over 6200 lbs and 49 state. Then you have to put all that junk on there and hope it passes. Good Luck.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Waxer might know

I recall talking to waxer on the IRC and I belive he had some problems with the Smog Nazi's out in cali. Seem to recall he had to get an EGR on his 75. If you need stuff like a pump and manifolds I got them and would let that stuff go for about $50 and shipping. All in good shape and only thing missing is the one bracket for the pump and the extra crank pully. Came of a 85.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Re: Waxer might know

Well, as you might know it's always getting tougher and tougher to pass smog around here. As far as I know, the whole test is comprised of two segments, the first is the visual inspection, the second is the actual sniff test were they hook up your rig to the machine. At this point it sounds like you're worried about passing the visual. Just so you know any healthy enigne should pass the sniff test, we complain about the process, but it's actually not that hard to pass.
    Back to the visual. The smog tech will look at your rig and look at the basics, since they test ALL types of cars they can't be experts on all cars and they look for stuff they "think" should be on a car. I know, I've gone through this before, recently. Here's what he'll look at, make sure you have a complaint, intake, carb, air filter (most aftermarket stuff isn't C.A.R.B. compliant, but that's changing). If your rig was originally equiped with the following, he'll check to make sure it's still on there: smog pump, catalytic converter, EVAP canister (EFI only), etc.
    In conclusion, most smog pumps are pretty generic, a smog pump from a 305 car engine will fit and work on a 350 truck engine. Furthermore, the tech is not going to check the part number and make sure it's the orignal for your truck. Just so you know, you should be able to find a rebuilt pump at AutoZone for about $70, good luck...

6. conv76jimmy

Can i buy Smog equipment from any auto part store or does it have to be the Junk Yard and or Dealer. Because I need the
    the tubes that go on the Exhaust Manifolds and an Original
    Air Cleaner.

Thanks,
    Junior

2-wheel'n all the way!!!

7. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I had to replace my AIR pump and I just went to Checker and it was 50 bucks. They did give me a hard time about the 305 being removed and a 350 in it's place. I made sure that they knew that as long as all the equipment was installed it made no differance. They did fail a old Charger because it wouldn't idle under 1200rpm. I'd take Grim up on his offer, it's a deal.

Getsome

8. conv76jimmy

So all you have is the Pump and the Manifolds or do you have the Air Cleaner also.

Thanks,
    Junior

2-wheel'n all the way!!!