Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: heavy equipment operators

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, May 2, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

How does one go about learning how to do this? Is there a license I'd need, or do I just need to find someone with some big toys and convince them to let me learn how to run em? I'd like to learn how to run an excavator or a bulldozer or a backhoe.

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Around here in Alberta Canadia, there is an operators ticket. But dirt movers are so hurting here they'll get whoever they can. But expect to start at the bottom and work your way up (ie get used to riding a packer for a while) Excavator operators earn the most, but you won't get time in one till you get experienced in other machines. The big hoes aren't a beginner machine.

and thats just what I've noticed around here.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There is no license, but like Myself You can get nationally certified. Most company's will not just let anyone jump on an excavator mostly due to the cost of the machine and the danger of them. The easy machines to start on are skidsteers and scrapers. Dozer's are a toss up on whether or not you cut rough/finish grade, control stock piles, ripping, push scraper or pretty much just taking out the top soil layer. Backhoes are another toss up. Laying a lot of gas line and such pretty much means Your gonna be cutting grade at a rise or fall with pretty close tolerance. On the other hand doing stuff like septics are pretty forgiving.
    Myself I'm pretty good with a dozer and scrapper and ok with a backhoe and excavator due to less stick time. I have never ran a moter grader but wouldn't mind trying.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Oh yeah how could I forget the most exiting ride in the park.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I dig everyday. I suggest you set your sights on a more rewarding job.

6. thezentree

I've got probably 20 or 30 hours in a skid steer, but I wanna play with bigger, cooler stuff.

7. thezentree

I'm not looking to make a career out of it, just something that interests me. Maybe something a little more along the lines of a short term job until I finish school.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

See Paul I told You We should have went to kollege:D

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

it's got to be better than making pickles.....

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

this is a great topic. This has been something I've thought about as something temporary too. I've had experience my whole life with loaders,skidsteers,backhoes...etc. Working with the big stuff seems like it'd be something I'd enjoy doing. I just have no idea where to even look into getting into that type of work?

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

The junk I work on helps get Oil & Gas out of the ground instead of movin around dirt piles...........I tell ya I don't want to be pullin wrench for the rest of my career

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im a heavy equipment mechanic... the industry is cool here in vegas but its not what i wanna do my whole life.

13. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'm a Heavy Equipment Technician (HET) as it's technically called, but HD Mechanic as it's actually called. Calgary and all of Alberta for that matter is smokin' for work, both Oil Field and construction and every other trade is in dire demand here.

14. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

My 2nd cousin has a small exc buisness and I help him from time to time.His equipment is middle of the road in size(loader is 95HP,Dozer is 105HP.both D41 Komatsui's)and the only way I learned was trail and error and I still cant get grade every time.It is not something that you can just pickup,it'll take time.If I had my pick I would want to run a track-ho,sit in one place and dig.Be prepared for stiff neck and sore knee's.

15. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

haha im going to college to study construction

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Are You kidding Me? Your in SoCal there has got to be stuff all over there. Sometimes you can BS your way in. I learned to run dozer when I was a kid. When I got My first paying job in this line of work I really didn't know squat. I was told to spread what the trucks were dumping in a field. I was like "OK" turned out it was 10 hours a day 6 days a week and the trucks came every 7 minutes for 2 months strait, and Im not talking bobtails these were 40' end dumps. After the first day I had it down no problem, by the end of the week I was sick of pushing mounds of dirt.