Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: Krylon Painters

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by XHitman396, Jul 20, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so im broke, and the Blazer has seen some better days as far as paint, and anything else, goes. there is quite a bit of surface rust on the top of the cab, and some here and there
    i was told to use a small palm sander and 80grit paper to get the rust off and down to the steel, is that a little too course paper? this is only temporary, maybe a year or two until i can afford a real paint job, so looks aren't that important, i just want the rust gone
    a friend said he has some metel prep you wipe on the metal before painting (not primer), so after that, if i just shoot some gray krylon on there will it hold up to the elements of 4-wheeling while keeping moisture from getting to the metal and rusting again? will this work and are there any steps im skipping? thanks guys...

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i would start out with 80, then feather it out some more with 180, then feather it out a little more with 220.
    prime it and paint it.
    it wont look to bad when your done.
    always helps to let the spray cans sit in a bucket of faucet hot water, the paint comes out and lays better.
    you can always get one of those nozzles that attaches to the can and sorta acts like a spray gun then.

3. XHitman396

im assuming that much sanding would not greatly effect the thickness of the metal???

4. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Use Rustoleum.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I used kylon rust tough paint till they quit making the color I used. Now I use the generic Walmart rust control paint cause its $2 instead of $4 a can

6. dodgedude99

not really because your taking off very little.
    its common practice when striping cars for repaint to sand the paint til its about off with 40 grit, take the remainder off with 80, then smooth out any scratches from the 40 and 80 grit with 180 and 220.
    it sounds kinda stupid to be sanding bare metal, but after the 220 its sorta polished looking.

7. XHitman396

so if i were to sand it all out with 100 grit, then smooth it with 220, then use this metal treatment my buddy's giving me, do i need to prime it before i paint it? all i want is it to last 2 years and not rust, and am i supposed to seal it or something? thanks again..

8. dodgedude99

im not quite sure what the metal treatment is, but i would just use primer instead.
    you would get 2 years atleast out of it.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The metal prep that your friend is giving you is probably an etcher. It helps the primer adhere to the bare metal. You can get a self-etching primer if you didn't have this. I would recommend the etcher, primer (to seal the surface so moisture doesn't get to the metal) and then paint it. I know you say it only needs to last a couple of yrs, but it will probably be longer than that.

10. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

If you are going to Krylon it temporarity, Just scuff the exisiting paint real good with some scotch brite pads, and paint it with a flat or semi flat military color spray paint. I got mine from Jeep surplus (Earth Brown). It took 12 cans (2 good coats) and about 4 hrs. My whole truck was finally one color! It looks awesome. Also if you get srached up, just sand it down and spry it again. Its cheap qiuck and easy.