Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN LT1 K5s! Speak your piece here!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Apr 23, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey all! I am looking to put a new motor into my truck. I am seriously considering a LT1 motor from a '96 Caprice. Primarily, I chose the 96 model for its reverse cooling, vented opti spark distributor (eliminates the need to relocate the dist), and the SFI (Seqential Fuel Inj.) system.

Lets say I have a complete Caprice as a donor vehicle. What all do you think one would need to get that motor out of the Caprice into a K5? I am assuming that I will have to add some length to the harness to get the ECM inside the truck under the passenger dash. Some exhaust work will be mandatory past the cat. The chip should be fine... I will not modify the engine at all.

1. I've heard that I might need a new radiator? Why is that?
    2. Can anyone tell me if the 96 LT1 indeed had a sealed, and vented opti-spark distributor?
    3. Am I going wrong by getting a MAF engine? Whats the disadvantage other than cost to replace it? :-p

What am I missing? Anyone? I need every piece of info I can get my hands on. <font color="red">PLEASE HELP!</font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan

2. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have a LT1 in my trans-am and I am on my 3rd opti-cr@p distributor. The car barely sees rain and absolutly no snow. The high voltage side of the distributor goes and takes the optical side with it. it is very common with all opti's 93-97. If your truck sees mud snow or water of any kind, I can't imagine it holding up although I'm sure some do. I'll try to find a link to a company that allows you to use the LS1's 1 coil per cylinder system. the electronics are $400 + you supply the 8 coils.
    I don't know why you'd need a new radiator except maybe for inlet outlet locations.
    96 opti is vented, I'm not sure what you mean by sealed as compared to other year optis.
    The MAF engines only downside compared to MAP I believe is the restriction of airflow through the MAF itself. which if you modded the engine you could buy a larger one, a couple companys sell them.

Hope this helps

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Painless makes a kit for the wiring.

4. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

definatly go with a painless or hawell harness. This way, you can get rid of most of the emmissions stuff. You will need a custom PROM to do this though.

No mater how well sealed or vented the Dist. is you will eventually drown it and fry it. So if you go for it, spend the cash for the machinging to relocate the distributor or go with the distributor-less ignition.

You will also need to run an electric fan because LT1s dot have the previsions to run a standard one.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Be VERy CAREFUL with the electronics - the system is sensitive and expensive.

Go with the Meziere electric water pump - eliminates a common leak point, gives more HP, easier to replace, etc.....

I drive the Vette hard and it still gets 20+ mpg. Lotsa usable power. Should do fine in a truck but I don't think there is an RV cam out to help with more low-end torque.

6. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Some of the 9C1 and taxi Caprice applications used a fan offset to the passenger side, but I too would go straight to electrics unless you're towing a lot, in which case I'd do both.

Don't touch a Painless harness; they fuse things incorrectly. Howell does not. There is nothing wrong with using an OEM harness and deleting smog equipment; it's cheaper to buy a factory svc. manual to know what to mod in the stock harness than it is to send money to "We lie about harnesses" Painless. Painless revised their LT1 harness years after they came out with it, essentially admitting it was done wrong in the first place, and I wouldn't buy jack from them.

There's really not much reason to do a 1992 or 1993 ECM and run a batch fire LT1 which is what Street &amp; Performance does on some of their LT1 swaps. You can just build a SBC that'll be cheaper with TPI and do the same thing, only have a much cheaper distributor.

95-97 have the vented optispark so that's a big bonus there.

A Gen I SBC cam will work if you machine the front end and add a dowel.

7. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

My LT1

been driven for a while and the only problem i've had is a fouled spark plug, kind of scatching my head on that one, gone through water, small creeks, etc. and no problems with the '96 opti yet, and as for power, i rarely go past 2300 rpm and still hit 65 mph in no time, 4000 will easily through you back in the seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.........