Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attn mechanics: 90 Grand Marquis fuel pump and 97 Hombre/S-10 ignition lock

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by R72K5, Sep 28, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on 90 grand marquis do you have to drop fuel tank in order to get the sending unit out of the tank ? it looks like you could get away with free-hanging the rear axle and turning the unit just right, might not even have to fully remove the unit in order to jsut swap pumps. i believe this since the grand marquis tank sits on its long edge up behind rear seat and sending unit hole is in centerof bottom or top- or whatever you wanto call it- of the tank facing the front side/end of the rear axle
    i have to do this replacement on one of these cars tommorrow, so.,.

also on a 97 s-10 IE: isuzu hombre i have to do ignition key lock replacement, it has air bag and ive already pulled that fuse, does anyoen know if the air bag will remove with the horn cap, or is the bad attached to the steering wheel ? is the column assembled like the early 90s and older columns ? have the usual steering lock plate diurectly under the steering wheel and usual turn signal switch assembly and pin or lock screw retaining the ignition key switch
    ?

also, what is the square rubber black removable cover below the key switch on the side of the column for ? i think it is to adjust something in the column, but i forgot for what

thanks for anything

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

90 grand marquis has 2 straps that hold the tank up..easy fuel pump swap...97 s10 if its the same as our 99..you might even be able to swap it out without pulling the column apart..check under the column where it screws together, and see if theres a hole without a screw in it, stick a screwdriver in there with the key in the on position and the ignition will slide out..if not ill take a closer look at ours tomorrow and update you...howd that no fuel issue go??

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

fuel issue went negative, fuel pump is dead and so car is going to shredder tommorrow even though drivetrain is great, im tired of messing with it,w e are scrapping a bunch of cars, a FI 302 grand marquis, a FWD olds, a FWD 90 olds cierra, etc etc.

theres a square rubber black cover about 1.5" by 1.5" just below the igntion lock in this 97 hombre/s-10 on the side of the column, in there i can see the ignition key switch magnetic sensor and some kind of threaded stud with torx bit nut on end of it down in there pretty far but its not really that close to the ignition lock cylinder.

what would all this be

i dotn think tank needs to be dropped in the 90 grand marquis in order to replace pump
    just need ot get axle to hang down far enoguh to allow sending unit to come out far enough to replace pump on it

what you think ?

also i have a really nice 92 olds cutlass supreme SL with extra sport package and factory oldsmobile 16" mags and factory wheel locks and sport exterior and GFX package stuff and some other goodies- but the 3.1L heads need swapped, thats only 100 bucks cost to repair currently cuz thats all apair of good heads for it cost at the yards here- plus the needed top end gasket set that napa has- but i just dont have the time or money or patience for this one, and ive got 600 in the car altogether so far and im tired of it already, it ran perfect til timing chain broke recently and i already have new timing set for it here, i dont know what to do with the car, it would be super nice car again with head swap in which i started to do but have no time to finish,
    what would you do ? i hate to scrap it too...... its not one of those cheap disposable little fwd POS cars like other models are..

thanks

4. Confedneck

depending on how much gas is in the tank...you dont want to pull that pump if its over maybe a half tank or so..otherwise you're gonna have a nice shower...

5. Confedneck

alright so i forgot to type out that the ignition cylinder on our 99 blazer is different than that of your 97 hombre..sorry i cant help ya with it..

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i doubt they are much different, GM makes new switch and key assembly for these, originally is isuzu

airbag stuff got me good, the coil assembly is whats got me, one of the two mounting tangs busted and theres a big warning about improper alignment causing malfunction, so i dunno....
    theres two arrows that face each other so i assume they have to be in alignment when the coil assembly is reintalled into the column, this is the last thing to reinstall before the steering wheel and then airbag,.
    air bag retaining clips are fun.,,,,,, four of them, two on each end ofd the airbag unit in the wheel

90 marquis fuel pumop are simple, you dont ahve to pull tank because tank sits on long edge up directly behind back seat and in front of trunk and the unit hole is huge and facing rear axle,its simple,. but what took two hours alone was getting the locking ring reinstalled onto the fuel tank, it got bent up and crap and was a total major PIA and a half.
    car runs like brand new again, cept when you letoff gas pedal at cruising speeds in any tranny range the car like lurches back, i think its like the torque converter not releasingf correctly or soemthing, i ruledout lockup feature problem since it does it in other ranges other than o/d also.
    must be a ford problem, i know that other ford trannies liek the C-6 release and return to idle when you get off the gas pedal in gear at cruising speeds, at least in the 70s trucks they did anyways. gm converters drag all way down to about 15mph and then release ive noticed, especially in 700r4

no one seems to know anythning about anything technical on vehicles,it is always hard as heck to find out anything technical on stuff anymore, have to wing it really, i would hate to be a mechanic for a living nowadays.

thanks