Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn Micah

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Feb 16, 2006.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Whats your setup as far as springs go? different shack angles? I can't seem to find what springs your running. I'm asking because a guy I work with is putting a 4 inch lift on his rig and he wants to do it cheap with good flex.

Did you do any hackin or weldling?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

hahah this is funny.

Hes running 52's up front with the normal 7.25" shackle and in the rear hes running a homebrew shackle flip with 56's and stock shackle length.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

4. beastofablaze

Cool Thanks.

Where could I find 52's and 56's... I know in a junkyard but off what?

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Just so you dont get ahead of yourself on this. 52's in front involve eigther buying the B-52 front mount from DIY4X4 or making your own mount. Need crossover steering.

56's in rear involve moving Just the rear shackle mount towards the rear and extend the wheelbase by leaving the stock front spring mount. OR move both the front and rear spring mounts to keep the wheel centered in the wheel well.

Anyone please add to this or correct me if i am wrong.

6. beastofablaze

I am a fabricator by trade and have welders, grinders, and torches at my disposal... just bought a $300 hood. OK, I'm done bragging.

I am planning on doing this swap on my 88 k5 when I regear but my supervisor wants to know if theres hacking and or welding involved... guess I'll have to give him the bad news.

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

52" fronts and eigther 56 or 63" rear is deffinatly in my future. But I am lacking the skills in fabrication. I plan to become one as a job. Also money is tight at being 18yo. But if you got the money for crossover, the springs can be found for cheap at junk yards.

www.DIY4x4.com has a new kit called the b-52. It is a mount for the front that allows you to run 52" springs in front. Its a really great product and alows alot less fabrication. All that is needed is to pop out the large rivets holding on the front mount, and then bolt this one on. DIY also has a flip and switch kit, basicly it replaces the rear lift block that comes with most lift kits and gives you alot better flex possibilities and some have said their ride quality has improved alot also. Do a search for b-52 and the flip and switch and you will find alot of info on them. Kert at DIY has awesome products and great prices.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

crossover is required with 52" front springs. As are long travel shocks, and long brake lines. 52s aren't exactly the cheap way to go people think. There is also the fact that many feel they are too soft and giving for street use. Fabrication with a 52" swap really isn't that involved. Remove the rivets from the stock brackets, move the stock leaf spring hanger forward, and move the angle bracket too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

images taken from Jekbrown's article on 52" swap here. You know... right on the main page in the tech section that everyone ignores these days.

good luck trying to become a fabricator, find somoene to give you an apprenticeship, don't give up and try your best. I was trained to do the job and have had trouble finding a job(so much so I gave up for the moment).

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You dont have to buy the new spring mount, just be careful removing the old ones and re-use them. 56's do not move your axle when they are installed like they were from the factory, with the long ned facing the rear, because the center pin is offset.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I'm sure I know what I drilled... center to center at 7 5/8"

13. beastofablaze

Up here theres 10 fabricator jobs around every corner...I stumbled upon butte steel through labor ready just trying to make some extra cash for gas and next thing I knew I was making 10 bucks an hour(not bad for 18 years old... money for iron workers sucks over here. )

But all I can tell you is get into as many shops as possible... I am 18 myself and knew nothing a month ago...now I'm on road crew and am laying beads all day and getting 14 hour days going to LA. If you know somebody with a welder get some time in and pay attention. Drive around and hit all the shops you see. I got lucky and got a supervisor that knows his shiat. He tought me from day one and now he can't tell if I welded some stuff up or if he did:D . After a while its like breathing you just have to get the time in. Tell em your a fast learner and are willing to learn and don't give up.

Oh yeah... if you go to EDD and tell em you want to be a welder but don't have the money for a hood they might help you out with the cost.

good luck man.