Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: Millermatic MIG welder owners...URGENT QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 14, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I just FINALLY got my millermatic 135 hooked up today. Tomorrow I'm going to get practicing my beads, but I have come across a problem, how much do I open the gas tank on it? Slowly then all the way open, or what? I have 75% Argon, and 25% C02 mixture.(the two is the subscript) Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

READ POST AT BOTTOM

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: ATTN: Millermatic MIG welder owners...

open it all the way and set the regulator to 15 to 20, make sure you turn the tank off when you are done.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    open it all the way and set the regulator to 15 to 20, make sure you turn the tank off when you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, 'scuse my stupidity, but how do I set the regulator to that? And how do I know when I've set it up. I'd get my dad to help but he is really sick...

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Turn the screw on the regulator. You might first have to lossen the jam nut. Little different then most regulators.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Turn the screw on the regulator. You might first have to lossen the jam nut. Little different then most regulators.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The proper name is actually a flow meter, and I was told to set it at 30 and more if you are welding outdoors or maybe less if welding indoors with no wind.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had to tack weld something outside the other day and a little breeze, and the weld had a lot or porosity, that was on 25 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Flow meter is correct and 25-35 CFH (cubic feet per hour) is an acceptable range. The adjuster for the flow rate should be on the underside of the flow meter. Most flow meters have a couple of different scales depending on the gas being used and it's density. Make sure you're reading the scale for CO2...

Rene

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I went out and set it to 25, then when I tried to get a little closer to 30, it let out a high pitch scream, what would that be? And also when I open the bottle at, does it matter the PSI? Or am I supposed to adjust that too? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Also, is it dangerous if I weld on some rusty parts of a chunk of metal? I dont have a grinder handy so I sanded a bunch of it off, but there is still some there, will it be bad to weld over it? Thanks

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the gas part of that hting is going to cause you nothing but grief. i did myself a favor andbought some of that fluxcore wire it works great, with no gas /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I might buy some of that stuff for using outside, but its like 3 times more than the regular stuff where I get it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

13. 4X4HIGH

Be cautious of the fluxcore wire. I believe you have to change the liner before using the fluxcore wire then swap back when using regular wire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have never had any luck with the fluxcore wire but thats just my experience.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow. Really? Why do you have to change the liner... that could be a problem /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

15. 4X4HIGH

If using regular wire after using the fluxcore wire the regular wire will want to hang up on you because the fluxcore wire leaves a residue behind.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh darn. Thats no good. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

17. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

My little Miller says to change polarity when switching to flux core wire. Using gas I found the metal has to be really clean for any kind of good bead. Any rust or paint and it sucks. If you are just starting out do yourself a favor and get some clean metal to practice and learn on.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay,Ill scrounge for some cleaner metal. Thanks for the tips /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Ok first, you do not have to change the liner to run flux core. If you look at the inside of the flip up cover (where you put the wire on) it should have a decal showing the proper polarity for the type of wire you are running. .025-.035 wire should be used, just make sure you have the same size contact tip screwed in to the torch head that matches the wire you are using. If you are going to use sheilding gas, and you are welding outside in the breeze, then you will probably have to increase the flow at the regulator to compensate for the draft. I usually set it at about 10cfh and gradually increase to where I need it. Depending on what size bottle you are using, it can get expensive if you are running with more gas than you need. Most little bottles hold about 20-30 cubic feet. So if you run 20-30 cfh(cubic feet per hour), your bottle is only going to last about an hour. Also remember that the Miller 135 has only a 20-30% duty cycle, which means you can only weld 2-3 minutes out of every ten. Exceeding the duty cycle will overheat the rectifier/transformer in the machine and shorten it's useful life. Anytime you weld on rust, or paint, you are going to get weld contamination-flux core or solid. Flux core will probably show you a better weld through rust. Best way is to grind away the rusty areas, exposing the good metal. That way you get a good stong weld to the base metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Most little bottles hold about 20-30 cubic feet. So if you run 20-30 cfh(cubic feet per hour), your bottle is only going to last about an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, the gas in those bottles is so compressed it's become liquid. CO2 is generally about 600 psi in the bottle. If you took all that CO2 out of the bottle until it was empty it'd probably take days at 20-25 CFH. Most Argon mix's are up around 1500 psi or more.

Rene