Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn!!!! Need trans fix advice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I am prettty sure that my linkage is stuck inside the trans. Is this an easy fix? what is involved? I am currently stuck in drive. I removed the external linkage and tried to shift the trans using just the bracket hooked to the trans.it moves but only switches one gear, and then moves a pretty good amount with nothing happening.

The trans is a th350.

I used the truck for plowing for the last 2 days, made some good money, and now it looks like i may have to spend probally close to all i made to fix it! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Never fails!!!!!!

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you drop the pan and look at the linkage, it should be pretty easy to figure out what is up.

You said you already disconnected your linkage up to the transmission so your sure it inside the tranny right?

It sounds like it could be something wrong with the detent lever assembly where the detent roller and spring rest on it. Try to shift it through the gears by the lever on the outside of the tranny and see what is preventing it from its full travel...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo19/abj>Here is a diagram of what i'm talking about. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif</a>
    .. also make sure that the manual valve in the valve body (the rod that moves back and forth) is indexed properly with the pin on the detent lever. Even though this pic is of a th400 its the same.<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=347> Here is a pic of what I am talking about</a> in the upper right of the pic you can see the pin on the detent lever in the slot on the manual valve that slides back and forth into the valve body. (its pretty obvious what i'm talking about when you drop the pan)

Hope this helps ya some.

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

thank Ryan!!!

Took it apart today and sure enough the nut that holds the toothy looking thing the detent rod rides on was loose. Just put it back where it belonged and workes like a charm

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No prob at all dude. That sounded like what it is... an easy fix.
    I guess i know automatics pretty well now after doing my first rebuild, but then again... they're pretty easy.

Glad I could help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif