Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attn: OFFROAD.... new 44 thread. why shouldnt he run them folks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jan 13, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ok, some DORK lipped off and them some of us got offended, so here is a fresh post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    question from OFFROAD
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    when i get my truck, i'm thinking of just starting with 44's. instead of going up and up.
    if i can afford them is there any reason i shouldn't get them?
    is there any downside to huge tires? (besides initial expense and higher fuel costs)

before you say it, i realize i'll have to make the truck bullet proof. 6.2/454, sm465, np205, 60, 14, 5.13's, 1 ton stuff... i'm not one those guys that thinks he can run 10 bolts and be ok.

after seeing MountianExplorer's big crew cab with 44's i just lost it and needed some of my own.

how much lift could i run before the thing would get "tippy"?? would a 10" kit be too much? i know your thinking "why not just trim like crazy?"

well if i put on 44's i want this thing to tower. not 22" ifs 2wd lift tower, but something that says "DAMN! that's a big truck." not that i'm compensating for anything... (too much information)

before you ask, i wheel pretty hard. like not hammer down boogie, but i'm not going to be pussy footing around on the trails. this will be no pavement princess.

my terrains are northern woods, mud, snow, and very small amount of road. no sand, no rockcrawling.

as i understand it, the more lift you get the less flex you have... correct?

thanks for the help.

I like trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

44" Inch tires are great I went from a 6" susp lift and 39.5 to 12inch susp and 3" body lift and 44" ground hawgs other than the ride I love IT Man these things throw mud can't wait to try them in the sand there used and only have about 1/4 tread left but there still awsome can't wait for taxes so I can buy new ones /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. uglychevyZZ4

I agree, i think keeping the D-60 in mind, he is on the right track, plus, he likes Chevy's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I just replied on the other thread.

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Me too Why even talk about the jeep I have a pretty cool ramcharger but This is a GM site the club I'm in down here is mostly jeeps that rock crawl cool stuff just not my thing (to much body damage for me) but still very cool in there own way /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I started out stock and went to 4 inches of lift and 38's. And im glad i didnt get smaller tires (35" bfgs was the plan). And ive only had the truck together for 4 months or so and want 42's already. Which means more trimming. But if i were you id get an 8" spring lift and 3 inch body with some trimming. Youd get that "big truck" look and not be any tippier than you need be. And (Offroad) are you still at NSIT???? we gotta go wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Okay, so um...I read the other post...and um..why are some people offended /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

id run them if i had the $. they are really cool. my buddys got a f350 with 8 inch lift and 44's but he gets stuck on little hills a civic could go over because its a quad cab, long bed and the wheelbase is too long. U wouldnt have that problem in a blazer though because the wheelbase is much shorter.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I went to 44's from 40's. I did it because i live in the city and WANT to be a redneck!!
    oh, and better ground clearance.

10. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

first off: thanks uglychevy383 for starting a new thread. i was just about to do that now, and then i came upon this... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

now ben, you've got army truck tires, so that immediatly makes you as cool as someone with 42's, in the coolness standard /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

secondly, i'd still get 42's, cause they're just cool. do it once you get the $$$

i'm not at nsit anymore /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i didn't work hard enough and blew a year of my life. not too happy about that... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

anyway, i would VERY MUCH LOVE to go wheeling with you, but i'm back in riverview (right next to moncton, new brunswick) so it's about a $100 bus ride to halifax. if i had my own car, i could drive down there for way cheaper than that, maybe the train is cheaper....

do you have any wheeling trips coming up? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

i'd rather not have any body lift on my truck. with my luck, i'd break the body away from the frame by getting a tree jammed in the space between the body and the frame. sound impossible? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif clearly you haven't been wheeeling with me yet!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

UPDATE: the other thread is locked now, cause it was going way off topic, it was turning into just name calling... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

thanks for locking it mods! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (seriously /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

WOOHOO!, Two People in the world think im cool!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks, our next really big run will be the IWK hospital charity run in the spring, usually about 150+ trucks and its a good run. No booze or the like either, just good clean redneck fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and that sounds like my year at dalhousie! they gave me the boot, now im taking heavy duty equipment repair at NSCC akerley campus.

13. uglychevyZZ4

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    first off: thanks uglychevy383 for starting a new thread. i was just about to do that now, and then i came upon this..

[/ QUOTE ] i started this b4 that other one even got locked. anyways, it happens. i just figured you may still want info so i got this one runnin while the idiots got flamin, i was one of those idiots /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

cool ben! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i'd really like to come on that run if i could. do you when it is? i gotta get time off work... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

no date yet but usually the first or second week of april. we will be formally setting the date next week. ill let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I was in your area last year on my 2wheeler and it looked like a great place to wheel. Any chance that you could open up a place on this trip for a little (only on 35's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) truck from Maine? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A lot depends on what the purpose of the truck is going to be. We run trails around here that consist of a lot of dirt and loose rock (very few big boulders or any true rock crawling) with mud and ruts thrown in between, and all the trails are heavily wooded and usually tight. We have found that 38's are about the limit for either manuerability or reliability on the trails in this area. Several of the guys used to run 42's or 39's and have all moved down to narrower 37's or 38's and are quite happy with the performance.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think he should run them for one simple fact: It looks KEWL !!!!!!

19. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Hey theres always room for one more! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

that's some good input 6.2blazer. that pretty much what the trails are around here, but without the boulders and with more mud.

it's like trail trail mudhole trail, muddy road, trail, mudhole, trail, BIG LONG swampy mudhole, trail, mud hole. it's like that, with river crossing and steep hills too. i think if i can 38's with lockers at both ends i'd be set.

now i've seena heep on 33" mud tires with open diffs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif go through holes i got stuck on on my atv. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif to be fair i was trying to get stuck /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, i'd driven through the hole a couple times already...

in summary: locked 38 tsl's and i'd be set.

ben427 knows what i'm talking about cause he's local...

are you really wanting the 42 for terrain or just coolness factor? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifi don't care either way but i'm just surprised that you're coming up short with 38" army tires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif