Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn: Oil Man, or any other oil experts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, May 3, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yesterday I changed my oil after the first 500 miles on the new engine. When I was at the parts store, I saw an AC Delco Oil filter that holds up to 2 quarts of oil. I didn't buy it b/c I wasn't sure if it was necessary. Anyways, what do you think about it? If the filter holds 2 quarts, does this mean I have to fill my engine with a total of 6 quarts to compensate for the extra space in the filter?
    Also, what do you think of Penzoil 10w 30w (stop and go traffic) oil w/ pure base? I was looking for Penzoil Longlife, but they only had it in 15w 40w and I was looking for 10w 30w. Thanks for the help.
    Boss

2. Oil Man

Oil Man Registered Member

Boss,
    I looked at your profile, hunting and fishing ME TOO! You have a 75' K5. Yes you are always better off with more oil capasity. I would rather see you use the 15w-40 than the 10w-30. and pennzoil long life is a better oil than the pure base 10w-30.

If you want to know what the best oil is, it's the Lubrication Engineers #8800 15w-40 It even has less wear than synthetics. You can get it at Mag-Hytec 1-818-786-8325

Sincerely, Kevin

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Phew, $5.00 a qt. That aint cheap, but I guess for good oil, it is worth it. I'll have to order me some after the next 3000. Well, the price range is around Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec, so not too bad.
    OilMan, So I guess when You said more oil is a good thing, then if I went with the 2qt oil filter, then I should put 6 qts in the engine right?
    I wish you lived a bit closer, we could reel in some Bass together.
    Boss

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

oilman: i remember on that other previous post you said something about shaffer supreme motor oil. Do you (or anyone else) know where i can get some of this? i like the name. (my last name is shaffer)

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. Oil Man

Boss,
    Yea, 6 quarts is right. I'm going up to reno maybe do some fishing after working. I fish all over the country maybe sometime in your area.
    Kevin

7. Oil Man

ShaggyK5,
    Try looking up www.schaefferoil.com and you will find your name all over the place.
    Kevin