Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn Painters..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jun 10, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Can you explain how to color or wet sand (same thing?), what grit, process, etc. My Blazer has a descent paint job, but there is some orange peel and I'd like to get rid of it. A body shop said they would do it for $500....no thanks. I had a guy explain it me real quick, not much detail, and it doesnt seem like it would be that difficult to get it to shine and get rid of the orange peel, just some time and patience. Thanks in advance!

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    This is how I do it (others might have a simmilar way) Go get some 1000, 1500, and if you want a show finnish 2000 wet-o-dry paper, a sanding block, some water (running prefered), polishing coumpound, a bucket and some time. Wash the car first, if you pick up even a little piece of grit you are going to have a mess. Wet the area down, start with 1000 grit in the block, wet the paper and block, you can even righ up your hose to keep running water going down the pannel. start sanding in a back in forth manner (not karate kid wax on wax off) be carefull around corners as you can take the paint off real quick. anyway keep washing the surface off and keeping the paper clean with water as you go. You should see lots of paint colored water dripping off everywhere. You will feel a noticible difference between where you started and where you are working. Dont sand too much. Its easier to take more off than put it back on. You might want to practice on something youdont care about first. After the car is complete go to the 1500 paper, and do it all again. Hopefully when your done you havent cut throught the paint and after washing again to remove any grit you can buff the shine back with some compound. Hope this answers your question

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

3. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Also anotehr little helpful hint is when sanding I have used 600 but then recleared but if your buffing 1000 to 1500 will work fine when sanding take a bondo spreader and when you sand for a little bit tek the bondo spreader and sqegee the water off that way you can see how far you have sanded down. This will help when you sand you can see if there is still orange peel.
    Blazin72

Blazin 72