Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: People with Inboard Mounted Shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Nov 20, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

OK...not sure how my Junk is gonna get done here. Looking for some opinions. Many of you i am sure have seen my "shocks through the bed" threads and i am weighting my options.

I might have to go with inboard mounted shock mounting on my rig. I know that the more of an angle your shocks are at, the less the dampening ability you have. Also, for lateral stability, inboarding shocks would lessen the lateral support of your rig. this worries me in two ways:

1) on the street. going through cornors, emergency manuvers, etc. I know i can't cornor like a F1 racer, but want the best i can.

2) on the trails. I have seen pictures of rigs that when bound up REALLY good and the body if flopping on one side or the other. Some have suggested this is due (in part) to radically inboard shocks.

so what is your expereince?? post up here.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your right in both cases. I recently made the switch and inbound the top of my shocks as well as custom mounts on the axle. The ride is softer but not exactly in a good way because it allows more up and down motion on bumps, to the point of starting a bounce. The lateral support was the most troubling, especially with the ford 57" springs which are soft and allow a lot of travel. My cornering is virtually gone compared to before the change and tact must be taken off road to be wary of any side to side weight distribution as it will happen suddenly. The only thing I really gained was wheel travel. I'm changing mine back to mouting at the edges of the truck and rotating them forward a bit to allow for travel... the cons just weren't worth it in my case.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My shocks are mounted inboard at the top.The handling in the rear with the K5 body on it was wishywashy but I did it for the added travel.

So if your worried about handling with them mounted in at the top,maybe try runnin dual shocks inboard instead of single?

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My cornering is virtually gone compared to before the change and tact must be taken off road to be wary of any side to side weight distribution as it will happen suddenly. The only thing I really gained was wheel travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a great point Borrego, especially with those 57" spring.

my plan is to use the 57" and use some bilstein 6100 shocks i have, they have 14" of travel and will mount them through the bed at more of a stock angle to help will the body roll.

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Micheal
    how much body lift are you running? I was planning on doing the springs and shocks but if your having problems with lateral support w/body lift, Im not even gonna attempt it.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running 3" body lift on 4" suspension. With the shocks in the stock location, the ride, cornering and bump control were great on the 57's. I'd rather have all that and lose a few inches of droop, or have both by cutting through as mentioned above or rotating forward a bit rather than inbound.

I ran this run ( http://www.echobit.com/video/coralcanyon.wmv ) with the shocks in the stock location.. I wouldn't even think of trying it with them inbound due to the off camber descents. The camera makes everything look flat but if you look at the tires and the suspension unloading at times you'll see the actual incline angle.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I really like the bilsteins, good plan by the way, you'll love how it performs!

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks, i hope i can make them work up front but they might be to long. i should have this done soon after x-mas i'll post plenty of pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If you end up putting them through the bed, what is the best way to mount them? Straight up and down, angled toward the front, or angled toward the rear? I'm planning to tie them into a cross section of the cage, kinda like Watson did:
    [​IMG]

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can see how severe Jeremy and I laid mine inboard here -

[​IMG]

NO issues either on the street or on the trail. My truck has crossover steering (hence no swaybar) and still handles as well as it did before all the mods. Probably better. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 3

For comparison purposes - I run 4" Tuff Country lift springs with zero rates in the rear. It *appears* compared to Borrego's setup this shock angle thing is compounded or flat out the reason for the softness or scariness some guys notice. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have posted a bunch of ways i would like to do it, and no one agrees. i think i am going to do a slight forward rake with the pins in different locations (one front to back, one side to side)

we will see. i could always just run an inboard set up. dunno. we'll have to wait and see.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I think those with stiffer springs will have less of a problem since the range of motion is reduced in relaltion to a weight shift. Most people run too stiff of a shock so having the shocks angled could help it ride a little softer. I eliminated the frequency of my truck picking up the front inside tire around turns by returning mine to the stock locations.

I think Steven at ORD has the right idea with a slightly forward mount through the bed (or next to it if you can fit it). This would have a similar effect of allowing more droop with a softer ride and use the outside of the truck to help stability.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, you know how mine are setup. Much like Watson's but with more angle. Stiffer shocks and less weight in the back so more angle reduced the rate just about right. I am very happy with mine but, I don't drive it on the street. However, I've noticed practically no body roll and no bouncing while being nice and supple on the rocks. If it were me, with a full body, I would go through the floor like the ORD K5 but, depending on the shock, maybe a little more rake forward. The rake will soften the shock (just like it does angled in) and allow much longer travel. Remember the axle moves down and forward (roughly) pivoting around the front eye of the spring.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

right, but running the Springer Suspension with 39.5's and 6" of lift, i need to tub the rear. If i tub it to the frame rails, then what? ORD put the shocks right next to the frame, and it looks REALLY close to the stock wheel tubs

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifseems like i am stuck at this point./forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running 42s on a Springer with 4" of lift and I don't hit mine... If you run the tubs to the edge of the frame, just put the shock inside the tub or run through the tub depending on length and angle...

16. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm running mine the same exact way and BorregoK5 can confirm this. My truck is a friggin pogo stick when I drive somewhat fast on dirt trails and I start hitting bumps and slopes in the road.

I'm running 86 K5 springs in the rear with the ORD shackle flip and 1" zero rates. Front has 4" tuff country EZ rides with 5/8" zero rates and ORD stronger shackles.

Thing flexes nicely, but is dangerous on the trail if I drive pretty fast on it. Not enough dampening from the shocks with them so inboard like that. I'll be doing the same as Borrego and moving mine outboard.

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Well I say ya do what I did....take off the shocks if it's a project vehicle an go around the block, very fun and the niehbors were in on it too, no fenders, panels, doors, nothin just a firewall and windshield frame, but no windshield, and yes the thing drove like I was off road I'll probably do this alot if they close all the trails! j/k
    The curb it's self was enough to send me to space at 5 mph.. but the again no gauges either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

19. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I think a lot of it is how soft your springs are. right now I have no shocks, but the springs are 7 leaves plus an inch thick over arch leaf. I have no problems in the back with too much sway. The only problems I have had is bumps in a turn but that seems to be more of a problem in the front end (also no shocks).

20. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Micheal and Steven
    I hate to bother you again but was just wondering when you re-do your shocks again how you are going to do it. Run both of them foward, outboard of the frame or if you were going to go through the floor? Im curious cause i was planning on running the same setup you have now but mines a DD. I dont want the problems you are explaining. Thanks for the info.