Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attn: plumbers: 21 year old 3" plastic pipe ? thin wall ? uhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 21, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

attn: plumbers: 21 year old 3\" plastic pipe ? thin wall ? uhhhhhhh

ok, tree roots damage forced me to dig up plastic sewer line over atthe house across the way yesterday,i managed to dig at the exact spot where pipe is damaged,it is 3" white plastic and waslaid down in 1982

whats wierd is that its not thickwall plastic like you see today, its like half as thick walled and instead of having normal plastic butt connector to glue ends of pipes together, it just seems to slip inside of each other, like hub and bell design like the old iron pipes did,

the pipe is split lengthways cuz of tree roots getting in and expanding,
    so i have to now dig length of pipe up both directions til i get to good pipe
    and then make enough room to cut off pipe and patch with pieces, buti dont know if this pipe will fit any of the new stuff they make today,

so does anyoenknow whats going on with this 1982 plastic thin wall crap ?

on a side note: never let chinese elm trees grow past weed stage, they suck, notjust cuzof the roots, but because the stupid trees grow way to fast and end up breaking limbs off cuz of too much weight, and get full of insects and disease very easily, they live and grow but also are constantly dying and leaking water out of scars and stuff

thanks

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Re: attn: plumbers: 21 year old 3\" plastic pipe ? thin wall ? uhhhhhhh

Could it just be that when the pipe was laid that having a thinner schedule of pipe was up to code??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Here in the wonderful state of SDakota Im a certified pipelayer. What your talking about is a slip-joint. There should be a beveled end and an end with a bell on it. Bevel goes into bell with the bevel on the LOWER end. Here in SD, that is all we can use unless its inside a building. The rubber gaskets in the bell end seals up fine. Its better and easier than glue together pipe in my opinion. You should be able to get that pipe at a pipefittings store. I know they dont sell it at Ace or Menards or anyplace like that.

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah forgot something On sewer lines you dont have to have a real heavy pipe cause theres simply no pressure on these lines. Sewer main is thicker but not so heavy you need a machine to move it around for you.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the pipe is D.W.V which is Drain waste vent pipe, It has no pressure rating like sch.40