Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

attn. plumbers: schedule 20 and 40 PVC pipe Q's, thanks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 1, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

attn. plumbers: schedule 20 and 40 PVC pipe Q\'s, thanks

ok this place was added onto and converted to a house in 1982 and in the basement they installed both tan and black sched 40 pvc 4" main line and it goes through slab floor down there and out to manhole in corner of property out here, about 35 foot run, well about 20 foot out past foundation toward manhole theres a tree and its roots have damaged the pipe badly so i had to dig it up a few weeks back and it split the pipe longways and partially collapsed it and its all messed up, so i am going to replace from back where its not split and all the way to manhole.,

but...

the stuff buried out here is not normal sched 40 using glue fittings, it is some kind of thinner slip together white pvc, the tree roots got into where two sticks of the pipe slip together, using no hub glue fitting /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so what would they have to have done to go from the normal 40 in the basement to the thinner junk out in property and what would i have to do to repair the busted 20 with 40 ?

i am not a plumber i only have worked with 40 and i hate digging, it is no fun digging 3 foot deep trench by hand, but im getting there bit by bit...
    i have the busted up part dug up at least and am working towards manhole to uncover rest of the run so i can replace.

i was told locally to wrap something like a roofing shingle around new seam when i repair and then use a bag of cement around that to keep roots out in the future.

thanks for anything

and then another problem again already now- as of today, now i have to deal with the dang electric water heater over across the way at the building, the bottom element rotted and broke last week and ill be damned if its done it again already, calcium and jelly junk in tank, water is bad here very hard junk water,
    the 220 circuit breakers flip when you reset them, which is what it was doing when the element rotted and broke last week, need to find a gas water heater and install that, in which was what was originally over there anways

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: attn. plumbers: schedule 20 and 40 PVC pipe Q\'s, thanks

Sounds like they used cheap D.W.V pipe.Those roots will find the smallest crack and get into the pipe, You could seal the joints with tar...

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Relax,
    PVC is easy To work with. Just remember to use purple primer on both ends of a union as well as glue. As for the ditch i would go to a rental yard and rent a ditch witch or a skidsteer with a backhoe attatchment. Knock that ditch out in a matter of moments /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tar, hmm.. cool, never thought of that one, hmmm..

rental is out of question, am broke and i gotta do this for as cheap as humanly possible, i cant even actually aford a section of pipe, but its gotta be fixed and have to dig anyways,. so hmm..

trying to learn what i can while i try to fix this

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well it looks like its actually 4"

but for sure is thin wall cheap junk and is total of about 35 feet of the run of the junk pipe and about ten of it is split and some of that collapsed in from top side.

i had a friend of mine look at it today who is older than i and a jack of all trades type and he said replace it all,
    this will take backhoe rental and couldnt take much more than an hour(if even an hour) to dig the 22 feet of the stuff thats still not dug up, he was saying 85 and hour is about what they want to run backhoe

this sound about right ?

another thing is that i dont know where the sched 40 in the basement going through the slab floor turns into the cheap thin junk at, it might even change over underground out in yard, i dunno., ill never have a way to find out without digging it all up anyways, so hmm,,

thanks

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    ill never have a way to find out without digging it all up anyways,

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the wonderful world of underground utilities. Now you know how I feel everyday....... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

First of all let me be the first to tell you how lucky you are to have your sewer line at 3'. Up here code is 8 ft deep because of our frost conditions. Doing a DIY repair like you're considering is unheard of in my area because of the depths and machinery involved. So remember that things could always be worse.

So what you're saying is that you have two different kinds of PVC in your system? Before you do anything you should check with your Municipality or County and see if the codes have changed in the last little while. There's a really good chance that you may have to upgrade the entire section you replace with a different kind of pipe than you have in mind. Secondly, most areas take sewer VERY seriously now so you may need an inspection done before you backfill. Unless things are a lot different down in your neck of the woods, uninspected work generally results in fines and you having to dig it up so somebody can take a look at your work. Don't cut corners because there's a good chance it will come back and bit you in the a$$.

Anyhow, gas pipe is my specialty but I have been involved in quite a few jobs that required me to liaison with "deeps" companies. I have a buddy that's worked for a co. that does sewer upgrades all the time so I can ask him what kind of pipe he's using right now.

BTW, $85/hr for a hoe sounds a little steep but it all depends how many contractors you have in your area. Make sure they don't charge too much for travel or add any extras(fuel surcharge, meals, etc...) on after the job is done.

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate digging, it is no fun digging 3 foot deep trench by hand, but im getting there bit by bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit yer whining, ya softy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif To quote a grumpy old foreman I used to work under- "Didn't want to go to school, eh? Then STFU and dig, boy!!!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

that was a little different answer than i expected but i appreciate the info /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

how long does your guys' winter last up there then? eight feet is crazy, that has to be overkill no matter how cold it could get for no matter how long every year

thetres a few different kinds of pvc used in this line here, theres black and tan 40 in basement in house and then this white 20 junk underground

when i get done with this it wil be all 40 out to the manhole in corner of the property

i found out tonight that my great uncle is going to bring a backhoe over in the near future i dont know what day though yet,.

i cant afford to not cut corners, i have to do it any way that i can, i cant even freakin afford to buy a case of soda i am so broke, so i have to do this for as close to free as possible, i cannaot afford to do it correctly, so i am just gonna have to do it any way that i can, at least it wil be better than what they did in 1982 when they did all this

thanks for your input

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

One other thing to concider is compaction /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't know about your state but in many places You have to have a compaction test by a certified ultrasonic technician. This is usually done in and around the foundation. It is usually done in six inch lifts and usually can have no less than 75% compaction also there is a moisture level as well. You can do it with a portable compacter like a Wacker. This usually makes for a awsome work out so eat a good breakfast.
    If You need any other good news just let Us know /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope, 8 ft isn't overkill. The deepest I've seen frost go is over 8 feet deep!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Generally we can count on about 6 feet of frost by the beginning of March, but that has a lot to do with soil types, moisture, and snow cover. Remember that up here it can drop below freezing any month of the year, and that our winter usually starts in mid-September and lasts until mid/late-April. Shite, two years ago it snowed every month of the year........ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What's the soil like in your area? Are you going to have to sandpad your pipe before you backfill?

Good luck with the project and keep us updated, brother!!!