Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN rifguitar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Dec 16, 2003.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thank you for your information on 700-r4 transmissions.I think that if a shop rebuilds any transmission properly it should last a really long time.Not everyone can afford a 4l80e.That extra money can now be spent on other things for the truck.I am glad i wont have to lose that OD.Ive done lots of research and i agree that the 700 may have had some problems in the past,but can be built to handle some major abuse.I will go to MODESTO TRANSMISSION and have kev take a look, it sounds like he did a bulletproof job.In addition,ive heard guys say their 700s have lasted 10+ years with no problems and if 700+hp race cars can run with 700rs i dont think it should be a problem. YOUR FREIND HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Rosemont Automotive (on Kiefer between South Watt and Mayhew) has a guy working there named Adam. His user name is Adam Ant on Pirate4x4.com (also is a vendor). Anyhow, they might worth checking out for anything too since they deal with our types of trucks a lot.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to make this super off topic, but a 700HP racecar is a totally different animal than a truck.

Don't forget, there are guys with 3500lb cars running 10 seconds, on the exact same 8.5" axle that people on here break with 305's and big tires in their driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not saying a beefy tranny isn't abeefy tranny, or their stuff won't last, just that trucks put an awful lot of strain on ALL the drivetrain components, even in fairly stock configuration.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No prob about it hi pinion. Hey ask a few guys what they run in the rear. I will make a poll to show you. Like I said hopefully we can find that van 14BFF with the factory 5.14 gears again(yep, not a typo) and nab it for a $100 and you can put that next to your D60, that is the perfect combo that is the stoutest you can get besides rockwells. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifLike I said give those guys a call this morning and Kev can give you an idea what it will cost and what he thinks will need to be done to your 700 to handle those 38's.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thank you guys (and gals)for your replys.I want to give this truck to my son when he comes of age,(until then i get it) and want everything to be in good mechanichal order.I cant wait its been sitting in the drveway for 2 mo. now and cant wait for it to get done.The information gained on this site has made this goal much more reachable. Thanks. YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hey rif i called your guy, he is backed up all the way through christmas,but i will wait for him.

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey rif i called your guy, he is backed up all the way through christmas,but i will wait for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
    crap!, oh well at least it shows something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And it's R.J.F. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I cant wait it will be a christmas present. Oh by the way, its better to wait that way you appreciate it more!!!No pain no gain /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ps like the poll idea , smooth.

8. rjfguitar

Too bad he couldn't do it right now! We could run together down to pismo this weekend with everyone else.