Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: Steve_87K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, May 29, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if you could give some good advice.
    on the thread 'how many miles ya got' you mentioned that you have a NV4500/NP205 in your rig.
    i have a few questions regarding this install.
    what did it take to do it? how did you hook up the tranny to the block and how did you hook up the 205 to the tranny? what about the hyraulic clutch? do you have a lift? if you do do you have any problems (driveline, vibration, was it too long)?
    any advice would help.
    thanx in advance.

Knife.

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: ATTN: Steve_87K5 (NV4500 swap)

Hi Knife! It was a job but worth it! I already had a 205 behind the 700 so part of the swap was done.
    Here are some photos of the job: (no fancy website, just the photos, click to view)
    http://www.geocities.com/tneg50/
    I bought all the clutch pedal hardware from the dealer. I have the GM p/n list, and will post it at this same address.
    Everything went together with kits from Advanced Adaptors. Clutch is all GM except for Toyota slave cyl.
    Driveshafts were made at a shop. I used '79 Suburban crossmembers, welded the holes shut and drilled new ones
    (so I wouldn't make any extra holes in K5 frame). The thick older GM skid plate connects the two crossmembers under the 205. The 205 case has to be machined for a 3/4T bearing and a new 32 spline female input gear. This is because I started with a 1/2 ton 205. I love all the gear noise from the 2 gearboxes in low range!! Set up gives me 60:1 crawl with 4:88s. I have well over 100k mi on this swap, which I did in 1995 (in Mom's driveway). More questions? Fire away! :)

SteveB

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My God Steve! You've got enough material there to make an article and post it in the main page!

By the way, you wouldn't happen to have an exploded view of the NP203 transfer case, would you? I want to be ready for when I have to rebuild mine.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

yeah...I got carried away, but yaknow....it's amazing what you'll do after multiple "700" trans
    failures (1) being stranded in B.F.Egypt and
    (2) having a "bulletproof" rebuild done, and then.... (2) being towed from WV to OH!.

If you think my auto-to-manual trans swap project would be OK for the main site, cool...in the
    meantime, I will be happy to
    answer any questions about it that might help or save money for someone..

I just found this ColoradoK5 website the other day and it's great.
    SteveB

SteveB