Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN Those w/HAD slip yoke cv shafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 11, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How long have you had them and how long did it take for the CV to wear out? Came back from wheeling and noticed a high pitched squeeling sound coming from under the truck and I thought must be a u-joint. Hmm, I wouldn't think a u-joint would have already gone out....the shafts only 3yrs old. Everything Spicer and 1350 stuff. The only think I can think is its because they are sealed u-joints. Jacked the truck up and let the rear end spin...bad noises from the CV. Pull the shaft and the ball in the middle of the CV is completely dry thus the squeeling noise. Look all over the CV and there is no place to grease it, which I didn't find when I installed it the first time. Needless to say I'm kind of disappointed there is no way to grease the ball. Now I have to see if somebody can replace it since all the d-shaft places here say that my slip yoke CV shaft doesn't exist, that's what they told me when I asked about one being custom built locally.

Anybody elses shaft done this?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you look carefully you should find a fitting to grease the ball portion of the CV, it does not use a conventional type fitting however it will use a needle to grease and the fitting may look like a plug.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing. I also know what the fitting looks like so I made sure to look again to see if there was one but there isn't. I also got on HAD website to look at the product data on the CV and there is an "option" to have a grease zerk installed for $10. I do not recall any such "option" when I ordered my shaft and for $10 buck I would have definitely had one put on.

[​IMG]

That's the fitting and there is nothing like that on my shaft.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yours definitly has a plug screwed into it, and no type of zirk fitting (needle or otherwise). You should be able to go to any decent auto parts store, and buy a zirk fitting for it for about 75 Cents....$10 doller option...Hmmmm.

5. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I've seen this shaft and there is no visible plug in the CV. Refer to the pic above and notice the numbers on the flat facing you (between the snap rings). If you shine a light down in there you can see something that might be a plug. If it is, the CV is assembled incorrectly because no matter how you turn it, this is not exposed as in the pic.

Now what? Anybody know if High Angle would make this good.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i jsut bought one from a guy off here, ill check it out and let you know. i should have it within a day or two

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It's a $10 option because the flanges do not come from Spicer/Neapco with any provision for greasing them. The zerk has to be added. The flange has to be drilled, tapped and the zerk added. I know because I do every one of them and hate doing it....lol, no fun drilling and tapping a stack of 10 flanges...booooring. Anyways, if you want them to be greasable, ya have to tell Jesse when ya order. You can certainly send it back to be repaired, or you could just order the flange you need and repair it yoursef. Give Jesse a call in the morning, I'm sure he'll hook ya up.

8. Zeus33rd

Not really possible to put a cv together incorrectly, they only go together one way.

9. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

OK, so is 88k5jimmy's CV wore out then or just dry from lack of grease? What if it is drilled and tapped and greased; will it work? How do you tell if it is excessively worn?

10. Zeus33rd

If it's gotten to the point that it squeaks from lack of grease, my guess is that it's worn out. You'd have to take it apart and look at it. It would be fairly obvious if it's worn, play in the ball/socket, needle bearings gone etc.

11. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

OK, thanks for the reply!

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It turns out in talking to local drive shaft shops neither Spicer or Neapco offer the CV kit with a grease fitting.

A call to High Angle/Jess did not net any good news either. No offer to work with me on this problem since the grease option was not offered to me when I ordered my shaft. Quotes of $200 "if thrashed" to $100 to change the center of the CV if not thrashed were given. Then things really got vague. He said he could not tell exactly what it would take without a picture or measuring the flange and bolt size; said there was 3-4 ways they could have done it. If he sends me the CV kit drilled and tapped, it would be $60-80 plus $10-15 shipping and I still don't know if the weld yoke is screwed or not which won't be known until I get into it. That could mean another $60 in parts and $55 in labor. Basically I'm looking at $200 either way, local or HAD plus shipping both ways for the HAD route.

I know I made at least two phone calls back when this shaft was ordered. Being in the drive shaft business, why wasn't I made aware of this grease zerk option from the beginning? What is $10 more on a $444 shaft?

WTF?????????

You better check to see if yours has the grease zerk installed in it because depending on how old the shaft is you may be in the same boat as me. Knowing what I know now, I'm surprised mine lasted 2 1/2 yrs, bought 06-11-03, crapped out 12-11-05.

13. Zeus33rd

I'll see if I can get him to post up here.

14. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

that is an optional thing - not everyone wants to be able to greace it believe it or not- we will however be happy to fix the c/v at cost and add the greace-able part for free- I would like the c/v to last longer - but allot depends on how much angle the shaft is working at - how much lift do you have ? Jess

15. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have the Echobit flip w/ORD zero rates and the t-case dropped 1"

16. muddybuddy

alright i got the shaft...if i do have the nipple or whatever it is to grease it, wehre would it be?

17. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

Things would not be vauge if i could see a picture of the shaft i built- I also asked for that- there are at least 3 different ways this shaft could have been made and i asked to see if you could tell me what i needed to help you - If you have more time to post than to look and try to help me help you - then so be it- Jess

18. muddybuddy

i just loked closer, i do have a fitting

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Read my sig

Ira

20. Zeus33rd

Who was that directed at? And what part of the sig?:crazy: