Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: Truck Avenger Owners!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Feb 27, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

I've got a 670truck avenger and i am having and off idle stumble. Has anyone else had this on their truck avenger? What did you do? What size cam are you running, wondering about the power valve and vacuum. I think i heard one guy had increase the discharge nozzles, which i think is probably it. Any suggestions? Anybody

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well what size engine are you running? that carb might be too big for your engine and you might have to jet it down to get the power where its needed.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have the carb as well, they do take some tuning to get them just right, I have only heard of a few that were put on with no hassel,

1st thing I would do is search truck advenger on here, there have been lots of post on it, also I have seen a handfull on pirate as well,

if that does not net any help, call the holley tech line, there should be a card in your box with the #, or call the summit tech line as they "apear" to have a hand on holley tech

I had to rejet mine, jets were 6.00 or so in the performance section of checkers, a-zone and others sell them,

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Let's see, where to begin.

First check the list number here:
    [​IMG]

If it is anything but 90670-2, the -2 being the important part, contact Holley tech. Explain your problem and they will exchange it for a -2. Holley had some issues with the earlier versions, and the stumble could not be tuned out. At least not easily.

Here's what I've done to my -2.

• Re-jetted for altitude, down 3 sizes.
    • Increased accelerator pump squirter nozzle size, .028 is factory I went up to .032 or .035 (sorry can't remember the exact # and you need to size as appropriate for you truck anyways. It'll probably one of those 2)
    • Installed blue accelerator pump cam on #2 hole. Requires readjusting linkage.
    • Verify float level. Mine was low out of the box.

You also need to have you initial timing set properly. I run 15* here at 5,000ft.

I can drop the hammer with no hesitation now. With the previous versions, I couldn't do that.

I found all of my tuning information over at www.thirdgen.org

5. jaredmajor

It's on a 350. I knew it was going to take some tuning, i just don't know where to begin. My engine is midly built, bored .040 over and a 268h comp cam and intake and the carb. I am at see level, it runs pretty good right now, part of my problem is i only have 3.08 gears with 35" tires. I will soon have 4.10s. I've thought about increasing the acc. discharge nozzle up a size or two. Just was wondering if there was a real common problem or not. Oh and it's the -2 version.

6. mrk5

Yep, that and the accel pump cam.

7. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I have also done these steps with my TA, but now I have a problem with it vapor locking, does anyone else have this issue with their TA, and if so what did you do to fix it??

8. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I also have a 350 cid with a 670 cfm Holley TA. I see that you are from Alaska, what is your altitude there? I know from reading the owner's manual that the "out of box" is tuned for sea level. If you are above that you will need to jet down accordingly. I live at sea level and all I had to do is change accel pump cam and tune and it runs great. Did the Rubicon last Sept. and at 7000 ft elevation it ran like crap.

Edit: found out that Anchorage is near sea level, sooo.......hehe......never mind

9. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

I have a 770 on my 400 and it is awsome way better than the old 750 that I had . However I found that mine had some stumble also. checked the floats and they were set way low. adjust them slow then goose the throttle to open the secondaries otherwise you will not get it right they will bleed over from not being used. when the gas it right at the threads of the plug its perfect. Bamo !! mine works 100% after that. I can lay 30 ft of posi off the line with 35s !! sweet!!!

10. mrk5

Are you sure it's vapor lock? One method I've heard of to solve that is using an electric fuel pump.

On another note. I live at 5,000ft and wheel at 8,000-11,000ft and I don't have any problems. The only thing I do is bump the idle up to where it's set at home, because it drops off at the higher altitudes.

11. jaredmajor

yeah anchorage is at sea level. Part of my problem is i had adjusted the idle mixture screw. I have been playing with that and i am getting it narrowed down, i heard that if you increase it really rich you can band-aid the problem of a small discharge nozzle, and that seems to work. I love this carb, it runs great, just besides that stumble.

12. jaredmajor

AAHHAH!! I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! Okay, i have been messing with this and have been getting various results, before i had no idea and kept messing with it. Well recently when i had enrichened the idle after a while at idle it would fall down in the rpms and i couldn't figure it out. SO i was just out there messing with it and here are the results. First i read on the clear sights, i left them in thinking i could, but read the paper work and they say they are only for adjusting the float level. So i thought i would adjust the float level with out them, they are like lenses so i thought maybe i saw what i didn't really see for float level. So i adjusted the front float, it was low, and i was sitting there then the low idle kicked in and i realized there was gas coming from somewhere, where? I realized it's coming out between the metering plate and the float bowl. I didn't think of gas would be coming out of a brand new part like that, guess i gave holley to much credit. What sparked my curiousity was a guy i sold some old carbs to said he had bought a street avenger and the metering plate was cracked from factory. This all really sucks, probably more when holley tells me to send it to them and they will send it back. But at least i figured it out, a big PIA.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well I had my truck out yesterday and I have the off start hesitation too... sucks but usually im WOT!!! :haha:

anyways I looked and I have a -1

so you just called holley and told them and they replaced it? I called them a while back when I first bought the carb as someone on here mentioned the problem.. that was a year ago... they said they had no issues with it... hopefully they will take it back... :doah:

14. mrk5

Actually I sent an e-mail, and got that response. I went to their website and sent the message through the tech support. I just explained that I had an off idle hesitation and told them what I had tried to fix the problem. I asked them if they had any suggestions for other things to try. They said to send them the carb and I would get a new one. I didn't even have the original box to send it in.

I saved the e-mail and enclosed another hard copy in the box when I sent the carb back. Didn't have any issues. received the new carb within 10days of sending out the old one.

15. RootBreaker

Thanx I just emailed them... waiting for response

16. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I too live in CO and wheel at those elevations. The problem is when its hot out it will stumble coming to a stop. But at this time of year it runs fine with no issues. My previous Edelbrock never had this problem either, so I dont think its a fuel delivery problem, but I could be wrong...

17. RootBreaker

Updated!!!!!

Good and bad news....

first the good....

HI,
    thanks for your e-mail
    If you send me your 90670-1
    I will trade you out for a new 90670-2
    You will need to send it to:
    Holley Avenger Tech
    1801 Russellville Rd
    Bowling Green Ky. 42101
    we need a copy of your receipt
    and a copy of this e-mail
    Thanks Ricky

now the bad news...
    I found my receipt recently.... REALLY FADDED OUT!!!! hmm think it is in the camaro so going to go check once I submit this...

you know.. pepboys paper.. put it in your wallet and heat fades it away.... well that is what happened to me... but I believe it is barely readeable.. now I just gotta find it..!!!! FRICK!!!!!

hmm I registered with holley when I bought it wonder if they can pull that up...

18. mrk5

I guess I lucked out, I didn't have to provide a copy of the receipt. Good thing I guess, because I bought my -1 from a member here used for $250.

So even if it is really faded out I would just make the best photocopy you can and include that.

19. mrk5

Have you changed the jetting? I'm just trying to think of what could be affected by outside temps. Below is a link to a thread about carbs and weather, I copied a post I thought might pertain the most:

For instance, if you run stoch. in the summer the carb may stumble like crazy in the winter due to the air density causing the system to run excessively lean. Likewise, a carb jetted for winter may run excessively rich in summer due to density decrease.

The only other thing that I can think of that would be affected by temp is the choke.

That air density thing might be a big deal for us when you throw in the change in altitude.

I didn't have any problems with the -1 this summer. I only just got the -2 this November.

One other thing that could make difference, I run a 180° thermostat. Carbs tend to like the cooler engine temps.

20. RootBreaker

lucky you... buy used for that price and get a new one....

I paid $400 for mine.... found my receipt and in prime condition...

I am going to get the carb out to them later this week so most likely wont see it for a few weeks....

but I got heads, intake and cam to put in... so hopefully going to do that sunday.. and will throw a holley 600 I have layin around on just for now... till i get the truck avenger.. I have been happy with it so far....