Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN Welders, please help me with my welds(pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, Jun 16, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

Ok first off I have no welding experience,ok I used a tiny stick welder on some exhaust. But I got one helluva deal on a weld pac 100 today I couldn't pass it up. Brand new with flip helpmet mig conversion gloves and cart for a whoping 250 dollars at my local home depot. How did I get it this cheap lets just say they screwed me on a delivery and the manager offered me this deal so I took it and ran. Well now I have this welder I plan on using flux core for quite a while since I have no shop and I have been told that for what I want to build shockbrakets, bumpers, flat bed, that flux core will work fine. So I am out side after watching the video and reading the manuel 3 times trying a simple butt weld, man this stuff is hard. So I took some pics of my welds and would like some advice. I plan on some major practicing before I build anything. Jesse Oh yeah how do you stop from getting the holes in your welds.
    welds

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those holes and the general ugliness is typical of the gasless wire. I have a similar welder for body work...trust me mine look not much better than yours and I weld for a living. About the only thing I'd sugest is clean the material really good and when doing a butt weld leave a gap between the plates. 1/16-1/8" should do it. That would be for the thicker stuff like in your (blurry) pic's. for thinner stuff you won't need a gap. Slow down with the travel speed too...a lot of the puddle you're looking at is flux/slag so it's not gonna be as big as it looks as you're welding it.

If the machine is capable get a gas kit and some .023 microwire for it as soon as you can. You'll go from banging your head to feeling like a pro overnight.

Rene

3. porboy

porboy Registered Member

I would also emphasize cleaning the material real well. Flux will always be messy. I don't knoe how you have the machine pluged in but shy away from using long extension cords. Your machine will not draw as many volts through the cord resulting in less power for your welder. Just my .02

4. mudrunner78

Heck I know the pics are blury, I am still trying to figure out this digi camera. I will be getting a bottle soon. I have seen some welds with flux that looked ok, I am not looking for beauty, really all I worry about is strength. I did leave a small gap betwwen the plates, and dressed the edges with a grinder. Now I am using a 25 foot extension cord 12/3. Will this welder work without gas to weld up a flatbed, I don't plan on using steel on the actual bed just the frame. Thanks everyone and I'll try for better pics. Jesse

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    I have a sp-135+ and it is rated to weld up to 5/16" using flux core wire. But rated to only 3/16" using gas. What is your experience with this. Is it true you can not weld as thick of metal with gas? Just curious.

6. tRustyK5

The only tricky part to micro-wire (with gas) is if you set the wire speed too fast it may not penetrate like it should and you'll end up with a lack of fusion at the joint. The flux cored stuff does 'dig' harder...but it's too ugly and difficult to use in my opinion.

Honestly I can't see why the wire+gas wouldn't be able to weld just as thick a material as the flux core.

My machine is rated to weld 1/4" in one pass...it's been my experience with it that 1/8" material is the max thickness I'd weld with it. The ratings should only be a general guide...

Jesse, I was only kidding about your pic's. I should have added a smiley or two...

Rene

7. mudrunner78

My weld pac 100 is supposedly rated up to 1/4 with flux core, I was told somewhere that with a small welder like mine don't weld 1/4 unless you make multiple passes that what I plan to do. I am not worried about ugly welds just strong welds. How do you bust a weld to inspect the penetration? I wnat to know my crap is going to hold, I have great luck and will mostlikely end up on my bumpers more than once, and plan on welding disk brake conversion for my 14bolt and shock brackets. I don't want these parts to let go.

Rene the pics are really crappy, the camera used to take great pics but I guess when I use the zoom I have to hold it really really steady.

Jesse

8. tRustyK5

To test for penetration take two pieces of flat plate and make a 'T' joint. Tack the corners and weld a fillet weld on one side of the plate only. Now take a BF sledge hammer and hit the vertical plate so it's trying to fold over the weld. It will eventually break as long as only one side is welded. Keep the plates no longer than 6-8", anything much more than that and it'll be too hard to bust apart later. You'll be able to see how deep into the parent material the weld fused, as well as how evenly the penetration was. This will confirnm the heat and strength of the weld as well as your technique.

Check for any bubbles or holes in the weld. These indicate impurities in the weld

Rene

9. mudrunner78

I'll try that when I get some metal, I did do a t-weld but couldn't break it I ended up grinding it, I welded both sides. thanks again Jesse /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. tRustyK5

No prob, post some pic's when you get around to the destructive weld test. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The flux core welds are not nearly as strong as those done with a gas rig, the flux leaves too many impurities in the metal, if you are using a gas shield the amount of impurities will be much lower.