Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Attn. welders.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen91, May 1, 2004.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Victor welding and cutting torches. My question is about the cutting torch. What do the numbers on the tips mean? i.e., cutting tip #1 has (0-1-101) on it, #2 has (2-1-101) and #3 has (3-1-101). What do those mean? What sizes do I use for what thickness of metals?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm so confussed!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say that those are probably part numbers for the tips from that company. I am not sure what number for what thickness. Higher number for thicker metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a set of Victor welding and cutting torches. My question is about the cutting torch. What do the numbers on the tips mean? i.e., cutting tip #1 has (0-1-101) on it, #2 has (2-1-101) and #3 has (3-1-101). What do those mean? What sizes do I use for what thickness of metals?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI'm so confussed!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are indeed probably the part numbers. Rule of thumb is the more holes at the tip of the torch the thicker the metal it will cut. I have 2 tips I use. One has 4 small holes around the outside and one cutting hole in the middle. I cut up to 3/8" steel with that. My other tip has 6 holes with an even larger cutting hole and I have used that on 1" thick plate steel. For the cleanest cuts you want to use the smallest tip possible for the job. Too big and you get a sloppy kerf (cut line) with a lot of melted metal around it.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

cutting tip #1 Cuts up to 3/4" with oxy pressure set at 30-35 and acet pressure at 3-5 and an IPM speed of 15-20

cutting tip #2 Cuts up to 1" with oxy pressure set at 35-40 and acet pressure at 3-6 and an IPM speed of 13-18

cutting tip #3 Cuts up to 2" with oxy pressure set at 40-45 and acet pressure at 4-8 and an IPM speed of 10-12

Keep in mind that these are setting for VICTOR only. Other brands have other settings.

The numbers I don't know other than the obvious first number which is the tip size. I'll see what i can find out about the other numbers just to satisfy your curiousity. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

When I saw that you responded, I was expecting some smart comment. But you shocked me, Esteban. You said something intelligent!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thank you buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Esteban86K5

SEEEE I am Intelimagent!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are indeed probably the part numbers. Rule of thumb is the more holes at the tip of the torch the thicker the metal it will cut. I have 2 tips I use. One has 4 small holes around the outside and one cutting hole in the middle. I cut up to 3/8" steel with that. My other tip has 6 holes with an even larger cutting hole and I have used that on 1" thick plate steel. For the cleanest cuts you want to use the smallest tip possible for the job. Too big and you get a sloppy kerf (cut line) with a lot of melted metal around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The small holes in the end of a cutting tip or the preheat holes, and have little to do with cutting capacity. The large hole in the middle is the most important. The larger the center hole, the more oxy pressure required, and the thicker steel can be cut. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. Esteban86K5

Here are the specs for the #0 tip like you asked

1/2" cutting with 30-35 PSI of Oxy and 3-5 of acet with an IPM speed of16-22

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    SEEEE I am Intelimagent!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No your not, you're reading a book!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Esteban86K5

But I be knowing how to read it!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Thanks for your help. I'll call next time. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif