Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: Welders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Jan 27, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im in my welding class and we are supposed to weld up a 3/32" wide butt joint. The metal is 3/16" mild steel and im using a MIG welder with 100% CO2. Well my problem is that I keep having globs fall off the metal, basically like the metal around the joint is heating up and falling off. I tried turing the voltage and amperage way down and I wasnt getting full penetration. Anybody got any tips to help me out? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What position? 3/16" plate with a 3/32" gap? below is what I'd do for flat or horizontal. Overhead is similar but you need a bit more wire speed. Vertical uphand is very tricky with microwire...

I'd say ballpark should be 21 volts and 120 amps, try small circles to keep from blowing holes and increase your travel speed a little. If you're having globs fall off you're probably going too slow.

You can also try a slight forward and back motion...move ahead 1/4" fairly quick, then back up and fill. Repeat til your done. You'll have a decent weld with a long series of ripples.

If you need to lose a bit of heat turn the wire speed down and leave the voltage alone...

Rene

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The position is horizantal. I'll try your tips tonight when I go in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif