Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN. welders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blaz90in, Apr 26, 2003.

1. blaz90in

blaz90in Registered Member

do any of you use auto darking helments?how do you like them if you do use them?
    Eric

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am using the Hobart Hood. I like it. It has the adjustment knob on the outside, so I can change settings if I want. It is lightweight, and reacts quick.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

greates thing in the world, especially when you are working in limited space.

John

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I like it. Great when your in tight confines trying to hold something and not enough room to nod your head to get th visor to drop. Bud let me try his. Bought mine the next day.
    Harbor has them on sale frequently.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I love mine. Hornell Speedglass 9000x. Super light weight and I can use it all day at work and not get fatiged because of the weight.

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

does anybody know of where you can find a quality helmet for cheap? i know harbor frieght has them fairly in-expensive but i dont want to risk my eyes to save $20 ya know?

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I bought one off of e-bay for about 85 bucks shipped
    the only thing with that is it only has one ajustmet for shade and no others but i like it. I don't think i would ever go back to the old style

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I have one can't think of the name off hand, but I paid like 200 for mine, it's pretty cool the helmet is a full view lens, the lens has a standard #10 on the top and bottom and a auto lens in the center, if you price them out you will find full veiw auto lens are pricey, the only complaints I have is if you let them sit in the sun or get close to the weld area while welding it stays dark after you stop welding, also mine has sensors at the top corners which activates the darkining of the chemical inside the lens so if your in a tight spot where the weld light won't hit those sensors you can get some serious arc flash

9. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one can't think of the name off hand, but I paid like 200 for mine, it's pretty cool the helmet is a full view lens, the lens has a standard #10 on the top and bottom and a auto lens in the center, if you price them out you will find full veiw auto lens are pricey, the only complaints I have is if you let them sit in the sun or get close to the weld area while welding it stays dark after you stop welding, also mine has sensors at the top corners which activates the darkining of the chemical inside the lens so if your in a tight spot where the weld light won't hit those sensors you can get some serious arc flash

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you look at the paperwork that came with your helmet, and just about every auto helmet for that matter, you will see that the lens in it's light state still actually blocks out 100% of the damaging uv rays, so you aren't going to get flashburn, it'll just be like looking at a really bright flashlight.

-Scott

10. blaz90in

blaz90in Registered Member

I wanna buy a mig welder...but dont have $1500 to spend on one, i have about 250-300 to spend...what would you guys recomend for me..Please help, lol
    Eric