Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN : Willyswanter and Custom Spring Owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jul 29, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I am considering buying a set of Alcan rear 6" lift springs for my crew cab.

Are you guys happy with with your custom springs? Are they worth it? Is there anything you would do different if could? I'm asking now because I want something STRONG and I only want to spend the money once.

TIA for your input!

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The beauty (and drawback) to custom springs, is they will make them exactly the way you tell them to....!!

ORD designed and built mine, and I needed to provide a number of specific measurements, and ACCURATE vehicle weight to get the design right. Just make sure whoever builds yours asks you lots of questions about the way you intend to use it, other accessories you plan to add (adds weight?).... the more carefully you plan, and can give specifics on your truck/usage the more likely you are to be happy with the result.

BTW -> Here's a shot of my ORD front springs "doin their thang".....

[​IMG]

1092 RTI on 20* Ramp (not bad for a poser!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am going to recommend that you add at least an inch to the rear springs height, so plan on ordering 7" springs. My rear springs were about 1.5" lower than the fronts since I had extended shackles and a d60 in the front, totally my fault though. I have not had a chance to even test out the springs yet, maybe in a couple of weeks.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

:cough:Ramp Queen:cough:

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    :cough:Ramp Queen:cough:

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, call me what you will, but fix your typos while you're at it.....

"The skeletons are out of the closet,...........and they're thirsty. "

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine are great. I got them from Alcan and they were $280 each. I had to give them a weight, any thing I may carry, and what I use the truck for. I also told them I wanted to keep my 1 ton load rating for towing and hauling since it is still a work truck and they came out perfect. There a ton of little leaves in the pack that get progressively stiffer. So normal unloaded driving and trail riding there nice and soft but as they squish with a load they get stiffer. I had 3600 pounds of concrete in the bed a few days ago and it worked well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. nvrenuf

When you have it loaded, does it squat in the rear? I realize there will be some squat under a load I just don't want my truck to drop dramatically while I'm towing (got to look good, you know. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ).

Do you have any pics of your springs?

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Well when I put 2 tons of concrete back there yeah it squatted but not horribly. It dropped maybe 4" or 5" or so total in the rear.

Today I towed our dump trailer to the dump, it was loaded to 7k pounds with the trailer waying about 2k, so about 9k pounds total. The truck squated maybe 1.5" total with the trailer on it. Throughout the day loaded with 2x4's, drywall, etc it only squats an inch or so.

9. nvrenuf

Thanks for all of the info guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I really like your springs Jason, looks like I'll be saving up for a set of Alcans! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif