Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATTN: young people

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ATTENTION:
    People who have recently graduated from highschool in the last 10 years, or who is still attending...
    I have a few questions.
    Course selection is coming up, and I'm trying to fit all my courses in.
    For those of you who took automotive classes in highschool, how helpful was it? Timetable was filled up this year so I couldn't take it, but I am just wondering. How helpful was it? I am looking at the description the first part sounds boring. For my future I wan't to be something in the trades/ttech industry, wheter it be a welder, machinst, mech. engineer, something along those lines.
    What I am arguing is, do I really need it? I figure I know at least half of what that course will teach me, but I just know it about chevy's and GMs from this site, and taking about stuff around here. Not any of that import crap we will probably be focusing on at school..
    BUT when I do it at home I will only be teaching myself stuff I actually do. I don't know much about wiring, plmbing or anything.
    But my timetable doesn't really allow auto tech in. I don't know. Have a headache!!

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I learn by nyself better than anything. Classes hurt my head.

Sadly, the way it works today is that you need a series of numbers and letters on a card to prove yourself. It's hard to justify that concept without being pretentions, but anyway.

If you need it for career, you better be taking the class. The basic concepts and rules you learn there will serve you. Of course, if you;re doing it for yourself, who has time for rules and regs?

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The thing is I wouldn't mind going to wyotech, or a place like that for more info on auto related stuff.Wouldn't mind learning how to paint either. But I don't know if they need me to have auto tech in highschool to get in.
    My acutal career plan doesn't really involve automotive stuff, unless I wanted to open my own shop which is far from reality.
    I don't know.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Agreed. I didn't take auto tech in high school. Why? Because I didn't like the people that went to the tech school. That was the reason, I wanted to fit into the preppy group who didn't go to Tech, the tech kids were the "bad" kids and whatever. Funny thing is more than half of my friends when I graduated were tech students. If I had it to do over again, I still wouldn't take auto tech in high school. A school like Wyotech(where I am now) looks a lot better on a resume than some county auto tech program. I don't expect to learn an amazing amount of stuff(though I am looking forward to all the engine management, efi stuff) but I will have a respected piece of paper when I leave here.

And all Wyotech requires is a high school diploma or a GED and the money, lots of financial aid and student loans though. But if you don't want to do an auto career I don't suggest coming here. Yeah there are plenty of people I've met here who don't plan to work on cars their whole lives or even much more than for themselves but I really don't see the point. I think it would be far better to just read and learn on your own and do what you want to do for a job than get trained for a different career.

I learn better on my own like RJ, but I need the piece of paper I'm gonna leave here with.

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You don't need it to be an ME student.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ME student? Mechanical engineer?

I guess my decision is not to take it. If somehow I end up with a spare course I may take it for S's&G's. But I am pretty independent as it is. I'd rather learn stuff I want to personally learn, rather than someone telling me Ihave to learn this to pass.
    Thanks.

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

its kinda hard to help you out when u have no idea what you want to do. although what is learned at this site is valuable and there is tons of stuff here, if you plan to work in the feild as a technician, no way in hell your gonna teach yourself. if you can rebuild a 350 small block in my k5, you have proved absolutely nothing to a technician or potential employer. computers and technology have advanced so far its mind-boggling, it really is. cadillacs have over 30 different computer systems on board, 30 DIFFERENT COMPUTER SYSTEMS! thats insane, and you can only learn so much in a regular shop, schooling is almost a necessity... plus you learn what is used only by gm pretty much here, all manufacturers have different ways of doing/designing things.. well good luck with your decision.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Whatever you're thinking of doing... well first off quit, you can worry about careers when you're 18...... anyway, make sure what you're going to do is something you like. Working on other people's cars, no, **** that ****.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Steve, in all honesty, i think you would greatly benefit from taking the course if you can fit it into your schedule while still meeting the requirements to graduate, and be prepared for whatever field you would like to enter. i went to a HS tech program, and i became known one of the "dirty" kids at my HS which was mostly preppy little snobby rich kids. i had the rattiest ride in the parking lot, but when mine broke, i didnt need to rely on mommy and daddy to take it to the shop to get fixed. stranded on the side of the road? no need to call the tow truck, i'll fix it right here thank you. i got a lot of crap for my choices with my education. not only was i a tech student, i was in band all 4 years, so i got double the teasing. everybody else figured out real quick who they wanted to work on their stuff when it broke and mommy and daddy wouldnt pay to fix it.

personally, if i had it to do all over again, i wouldnt change a thing. two of my best friends are a couple of those preppy kids who made fun of me for doing what i knew and loved. both are in the middle of restoration/modifications on early second gen Firebirds now.

i also attended the University of Northwestern Ohio for a year, where i studied High Performance Motorsports Technology. i dropped it after a year for two reasons. one, i was getting burned out, class 6 hours a day, turning wrenches 8 hours a day(M-Th), then coming home and turning wrenches at work 10 hours a day on Friday and Saturday, plus wrenching on my own stuff to keep it in shape for the 150 mi drive. it just got the best of me. and two, almost everything they taught in the first year i had learned in the previous 8-9 years working in the driveway with my grandpa, or in that high school tech class. i just couldnt see paying that kind of money for information that i already knew.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I'm not in an auto tech program, but most of my friends are, and all they talk about is how easy it is to get away with dicking around in auto tech. I think that it'd be beneficial to take the class simply to have it on your transcript if you want to go to a technical college, but everything I've ever heard about any auto tech class has led me to believe that it's nothing more than a study hall/goof off period that happens to be in a shop. Take that for what it's worth (I live in a county with a HORRIBLE school system), but I think you'll probably learn far more by working on your own junk and talking tech here.

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well since you posted that you are considering mechanical engineering here are my words of advice. Mind you this only relates to engineering so if you choose a non-nerd path pay no attention to me.

Ok, are you ready? Screw auto-shop. A few of my friends took it for 2 hours a day and I was lightyears ahead of them without taking it when we graduated. Its basic silly stuff that you already know, period. If you choose engineering,
    LOAD UP ON MATH. Calculus, physics, trig, take whatever your school offers, dont be dumb like me. If they offer dual-credit courses, take them. I made a bad decision my senior year and did the work release program, where I only went to school for half a day and then went to work. I enjoyed it at the time and made alot of money, but god am I paying for it now. Not only being behind my peers from an academic standpoint (I tested into calculus but opted to go for pre-cal because I was rusty and ended up failing it anyway), I had gotten out of the swing of school. If I had to do it again I would take all the good, hard classes you dont want to take. If you choose the dual credit courses, it will save you a TON of money. My girlfriend took advantage of EVERY dual credit course our highschool offered and she graduated with 26 college hours. That is 2 less than is required to be a sophmore. I know I sound like an old fart but I'm only 18, take my advice.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks guys, I took some of your guy's advice, and went against others.
    First, I made sure I got my Calculus and physics because the way I am thinking, I want to be an engineer (Just need to find more info, first)
    So I rearranged my courses, and dropped PE, so I am talking auto tech just to learn stuff I wouldn't learn, and I have all the other courses I want (If I didn't take auto tech, I would have had a bunch of "spares"). It will probably help me a bit taking the auto tech, hopefully by then my junkis running enough to get it down there....
    Afroman, PM is on the way...

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

great advise. i personally think highschool auto is pretty basic. its good for the kids who've never turned a wrench, but otherwise its just a waste of time.you'll probly pick up a few interesting bits of info tho. if u dont go to a four year, most community colleges have good auto classes. im currently taking welding tech at my local CC,an its supposed to be one of the best programs around. better than any 4 year in this state.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I want to talk a few courses at the college, but I live in a small town...would that effect the quality of the teaching and learning? Or is it all basically the same, but smaller cities have smaller shops and smaller classes, and vice-sa-versca for large?

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Is there any reason why someone needs to meet this criteria to answer Your question? We did have autoshop back in the 80's Ya know!

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

It dosent say attention old ****s , now does it? :grin: Your not supposed to be posting in here,no old buzzards allowed!!!! :grin:

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Son, don't make Me piledrive Your ass in the middle of My lawn:deal:

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

boy, dont make me take off this belt...:mad:

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Grow up :grin: old **** :grin: :haha:

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Man, this is fun:haha: