Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATV Input?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by firefighter184, Nov 1, 2004.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Thinking about buying an ATV this X-mas. Anybody have experience with them? Right now I am looking at the Polaris TrailBoss 330, or maybe the Polaris Magnum 330. Also looked at the Yamaha 450 Kodiak (?). Anybody?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like my polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 just got it 2004 and my honda recon ES 250 2004 works well i like them

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I have a 2002 Polaris 700 Sportman which is badazz. I love trying to get that thing stuck. First things first, buy a winch for it. Dont cost much but invaluable when the time comes. I also have a Honda 650 Rincon which is really fun to drive, but, does not have a "low" range. But it handles really great and is FAST. I have friends with the Polaris 330 and they all like them b/c they are so light weight. Mine is not...like 750 pounds. Anyhow, its a great, cheap way to go wheeling with buddies, and not so much breakage and expense as the Blazer. Have fun..

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I will never own anything but a HONDA /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've owned Polaris's, Artic Cat's, Honda's & Kawasaki's. I too plan on getting a new one next year. I'm between the Yamaha Grizzly & the Bombarbier Outlander. Leaning towards the Outlander as my buddy is the manager of the dealership. If you get down here (C/S), let me know & I'll take you over to maybe work a deal. BTW, he also has lots of used too. Here's the site. His name is Trevor. I god, fellow upstate New Yorker!!

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a Honda rubicon 500 4x4 and a rancher 350 4x4
    both great bikes I want to trade the rubicon in for a Polaris 500 with IRS getting to old for the solid axle sh!t

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will never own anything but a HONDA /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    right on man /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dude, my whole family rides polarises.(uncles cousind mom dad, me, etc) we've got about 5 sportsman 500, i sportsman 600 and 4 sportsman 700s and i have a polaris predator 500. honestly if i were you i would get a sportsman 400 or 500. theyre awesome bikes especially the 04 and 05 models. polaris makes the best utility quads on the market and inmy opinion the best sport quad, the predator. its not the fastest but its higher quality. they may be heavier and a lil bigger but theyre built stronger cuz theyre built here in america.. the people that own the dealership where we got our quads are good friends of ours. and the owner went on a ride on his sportsman 700 with a friend on a honda rincon 650. and the sportsman basically stomped it. they put the same wheels and tires on both machines and the honda broke 2 axle shafts in one day and the polaris didnt even batt an eye!! theres nothing wrong with the 330s but its just like trucks, you'll only regret it later and want something bigger. like i said if if were u id get a sportsman 500. my mom had an 03 500 and put about 2400mi on it then traded it in on an 04 700. and my dad has over 3000mi on his 03 sportsman 700. and it hasnt given him any problems yet. PM me if you have any questions! oh yeah and the sportsmans have independant rear suspension, which is smoother riding and more stable in many situations that the solid rear axle quads, and it articulates! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. firefighter184

Well I definitely WANT a big ATV, like the 660 Grizzly or the 700 Sportsman, but can't really justify the expense. I'm looking for a machine that will carry my 250lbs up the hill without bogging, and runs about $3500 or so. Might be looking for a used one, if I can find a decent one for that price. Anybody else got input?

10. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

500 or 700 Sportmen. If you tow, or go on pack trips, get the 700. If you just go riding for the day, get the 500. I have zero complaints with my 700 and I am really hard on it. I have the broken floor boards to prove it (not a design flaw, pilot error) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. firefighter184

Well, I'm waiting to hear back from the finance department, but it looks like we might be buying two Polaris 330 Magnums. The price was just right. Besides, I think running the 330 for awhile wil be fine, and when the wifey decides we need bigger bikes, it'll all be part of my diabolical master plan to get the 800 Fuel Injected Sportsman. BWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA.

12. muddysub

yeah the 800 are gonna be sick but ive been on a few trails where my dad's 700, which is 2" narrower and 1-2" shorter than the 800, was too big. i dunno though, the EFI is awesome.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have a Kawaski 300 2wd sport and a Polaris xplorer 400 4x4. good ATV's. I am interested in trying out the new John Deere ATV's.

14. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

If you just plan on running around on trails the Magnum is prob your best bet. I have a 325 Trail Boss, 500 Scrambler and a Predator. I have had great luck with Polaris.

15. muddysub

the new john deeres are bombardiers with different logos on them.... (i work for a john deere dealership and ive played with a few)