Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATV question

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by NoAngel, Feb 19, 2002.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

There is a 2000 250cc ATV for sale and it's going for $600. It needs a new ignition. How much will a new, used or rebuild cost? Thanks.

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

It's never too late to have a happy childhood[​IMG]

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

what make ATV is this?

you can get a brand new 50CC honda for like 1500 bucks.

I hope this isnt for YOU? they are quite small-
    I have 2 nephews that had them, and they outgrew them at 9 years old. My 5 year old daughter inherited one of them

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Oops. I left out the 2. It's a 250.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much, but if I were you I would find out exactly what kind it is and exactly what it needs and call up your local dealer and ask them how much. That's what I do when ever I need a part for mine. Also ask about labor charges if you don't plan to do the work yourself

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

cow-a-socky has a good deal going now. No payments, interest or down payment till 2003. 250 is a small atv, and if it needs work 600 bucks is a bit much IMO.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

thanks!

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Electonics for four wheelers are expensive! I had a Yamaha warrior, that I wrecked, and it shorted out the ignition box, and melted the wiring harness before it blew the fuse. It cost me over $1000 for a wiring harness, ignition box and fuse holders. That's not counting a new coil, the battery, or the little magneto thing that times the spark. I'd pass on it if I were you. They're not cheap to work on and very picky.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

So what ATV is this? You never listed a model or make, just a size...... If it is a Honda and only needs a CDI box, then they are under $100..... Be more informative when asking a question....

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The other potential problem I see is if the ignition's out, you can't start it right? What if there's other problems underlying that? Like bad engine. Not trying to be a naysayer, just be careful.

10. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

The for sale ad didn't list any specifics. I wanted to see if it was worth me even calling them. As Diesel replied, apparently it isn't worth looking any further. Electronics are expensive, that's all I needed to know. If it was cheap to do, I would have taken the next step and called them for more info.

11. Emmettology 101

Sorry I was kind of a jerk in my post and didn't mean to be...

I wouldn't totally rule it out yet depending on the model and make... For $600 it is worth looking into.. Find out what make and model it is and what it needs. I have had a few Honda 250X's that had the CDI box(ignition) go bad. You can get new ones for around $50-$100... There is a few more things in the systemt that can go wron, but the CDI is usually the most expensive. Hell, you can even get a staor fix for less than $100.....

See if you can find out the make and model and problem then post it here if you want... There are some on-line places that has low prices on factory parts!

12. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

You have just renewed my faith in you, thanks for being a good egg. The thing is, my brother has an ATV and is also a head mechanic at his shop. So I think it is something he might be able to fix. I wanted to see how much $$ cuz it's so hard to track him down. I didn't want to waste my energy doing so if the parts were wicked expensive. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. Peace, brotha!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I think it's worth checking out too ! A 2000 for 600 smackers ! What brand is it ? It would definately be worth fixing if it is a couple brands. Especially if your brother is a top notch mechanic for the things ! Keep me posted on this !

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

all I can say is be very weary of a sale that sounds this good- if its a 2000 and is in great shape other than this one problem- I find it hard to believe the price- now if its a 2000 and has this problem, all the plastic is gone, rims are bent, been riden really hard- and not maintained- its not worth it. We have a 86 Four Track that we could probably sell for $1500 and thats 15 years old- the reason is, all the pastic is original with no cracks, its been maintained, and still keeps up with our new quads. We have a Sportsman thats been in the shop more than this old one... though nothing is even coming close to touching the rubicon- that thing is the bomb-

let us know how you make out or what you find..

Brandy

15. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Sold!! Not to me though...Probably a good thing, I'm in enough debt as it is./forums/images/icons/frown.gif Someday though, hopefully soon.

16. Emmettology 101

Did you ever find out what kind it was?

17. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

No. His Mom answered and said "I don't know anything about that sort of thing" She was totally clueless. Junior wasn't home to take the call.