Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ATV winch to load the front suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, May 7, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Saw this trick in Moab this year and thought it was a hell of an idea. Basically what you do is mount a small ATV winch under the radiator or somewhere there and run the cable to the front axle. When you come up to something steep like the Dump Bump, You hit the switch, pull the suspension tight and go up without having the front suspension extend. Seemed like a somewhat cheap way to do it. Anybody here tried it?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Never seen that done, but it sure seems like a clever solution to controlling a suspension that flexes too much! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Sandman

Well not so much as one that flexes too much but to be able to contract it down and keep it there would help to keep the weight on the front more. Or at least thats the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a lot of the comp buggies have provisions for "reeling in" the front suspension.

It's a great idea and really helps alot during climbs. Farmington NM is a place where I've needed this same thing on mine... but didn't have it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif!?

Marv

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to limit flex /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I thought making the suspension as flexable as possibly was the idea?

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

What you're trying to limit is "straight down droop" by doing this.... Why? Well, contrary to what some people might think, you CAN get too much travel in the front end /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!... When you attempt to climb an extremely steep obstacle, the front suspension will "unload" to full extension and the truck will want to flop over on it's tailgate (or top if you have no rear overhang).....

Sucking up on the front extension keeps the front end planted during such a climb and tends to keep the truck from "wheelie-ing" over backwards.

Marv

7. Sandman

Just in certain situations. When your done with the climb, you can let the cable back out. check out my front in the pic:

[​IMG]

Having the front collapsed down would have given me a better advantage here. Not saying that I could have climbed it without the winch but it has been done. The RockPile on Pritchet is another one that comes to mind.

8. Sandman

Are you Planning on doing something like this? I've even seen people use thier front winch to do this but I had concern of the froces involved.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

One thing to consider in this, I would think that the "ATV" winch(or whatever is used)would need to be mounted as close as possible to being straight up from the axle. As i would think that if you had it mounted for or aft of the housing, the winch would tend to pull the axle in that direction and possibly shearing your center pins?

10. Sandman

Maybe even behind the axle somehow. With the springs the axle wants to move up and back. It might be best to put it behind but the oilpan sits there in the way. Maybe mount some type of crossmember? That might be too low.

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

If you are going behide the axle, could you use a Boat crank?? It would be slow but easyer to set up if you have a TRAIL only rig.

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as the position goes couldn't you just use pulley/s over top of the spring packs on the frame to pull the axle upward maybe I dunno just an idea.

-Brian

13. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhhh.....The newbie learned something new.
    Thanks for the clarification /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif