Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auburn Gear-- Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I was told that an Auburn gear rear end is a clutch type which basically means that both wheels pull all the time. when you go around a corner the clutches slip allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds but they both are always pulling. Is this correct? was thinking of putting one on front and rear of '90 K-5. What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes the 'Pro Auburn' is a pre-loaded cluch type posi traction. Just like you said the wheels ack locked until the torque or pressure alows one wheel to slip.
    If I remember correctly the Auburn is not rebuildable.
    Oh and I granaded the one on my 12bolt (years ago) when I twisted the snot out of it climbing a hill in the wrong gear then down shifting poping the clutch, frontend came off the ground and BOOOOOM the 12bolt was now toast...damn rokkie drivers hehehehheehe
    I only had the Auburn in there for about 2000 miles so I can't say much more about it.....
    I run Power-Loks, preloaded posi that IS rebuildable and is said to be the closest thing to being locked without being locked /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I guess I am not familiar with power loks. I have a friend that runs Auburn gear and he likes them b/c they don't "click" and are smooth. So am I correct in that with the power loks I would have all four wheels pulling? Where can i buy them? ball park price? thanks for your help.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

They are not cheep, I got them from here http://www.differentials.com/
    They are fairnly close to me that was the only reason I got them from them.
    If I was to doit over again I would have just put a Detroit locker in the rear but for the front the Dana Power-Lok, i think Percission Gear makes them now instead of Dana-Spicer.

Now a selctable locker is the way to go but $$$$$$$$$

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help. I really don't do alot of "wheeling". My truck is in pristine condition and I travel, hunt, pull my boat, plus lots of other things in it. VERY nice truck. However, when I do get in a tough spot getting stuck sucks. Makes it worse /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif when you only have one front wheel and one rear wheel pulling. Made up my mind I was going to fix that.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One good thing about posi traction is that it is easier on your drivetrain. Lockers break stuff but you get awsome traction. I have posi front and rear and so far they have worked very well for me. I do moderate to heavy wheeling but I'm not a rock whore like alot of folks around here. Thoes guys are locked front and rear.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll get ya hooked up if you need an Auburn....go ahead and find your lowest advertised price and shoot me a PM.

I personally don't like to see anything with clutches used in the front (especially not pro series) as it will never completely unlock like a locker will. In fact if you're going to use Auburns I'd highly suggest the regular one, not the pro series or you will have chatter and drag tires around corners with the pro series.

IMO for a DD nothing beats a posi in the rear and open front, but for ANY off road use at all, lockers are the only option in my opinion.

Everything I own except my tow rig has at least one automatic locker, although I'd personally prefer an Auburn or Eaton for my DD's rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

what kind of locker would you recommend for the front? when im in 2wd just driving it will be unlocked and steering will be normal right? brand? how much? thanks for your help.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The Auburn units actually use "cones" instead of clutches like a "Eaton" type L/S differential , that is why they are not rebuildable.
    Tom
    I would think that either one ( Auburn or Eaton ) would do fine in the front of a mild rig. I personally would go with the higher preload spring set up because the front axle has a whole lot more weight on it and will cause the the cones/clutches to slip much more than they would in the rear azle application. I believe that you can get up to a 800lbs. spring set up in both - and if you go with the Eaton diff. you might want to opt for the carbon fiber cluitches.

10. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

They did just come out with the ECTED, a electronic locker that is limited slip when not locked. I just got a pair less thatn a month ago have not done any real serious testing yet but they seem to operate seemlessly.

Not that expensive either.

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I may be asking for too much I guess but I want something that drives good on the road b/c my truck is a daily driver. BUT it sucks to get stuck and stand there and watch two out of four tires spin. That's why I want ALL FOUR to pull. I have a Polaris 4x4 and TRUE 4wheel drive makes all the difference in the world.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just lock up the rear...You'd be shocked at the difference it makes.