Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auburn Limited Slips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shawnboy, Feb 13, 2002.

1. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

This dif has springs instead of clutches and to the new user the sound they make while engaging can be a bit unnerving. I swapped these axles from my '88 to my '90. The '90 has anti lock brakes and the engagement noise is even more pronounced due to the anti lock exciter ring. It is recommended to remove this ring and I'm not familiar with this procedure nor are the directions for this in the install manual. Can anyone help out? Also what is your opinions on having this Auburn in the rear and a Lock Right up front. Should I run the Lock Right front and rear or posi front, locker rear or is the set up I have now ok? These are 10 bolt axles.
    Thanks.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

2. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Lockrite will only handle tires up to 33". They break after that. This is in another post. Lockers up front should be on demand so they can be disengaged when you need to manuver.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!!

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this will help or not but I've got a auburn pro in my 12 bolt and when I first installed it, it was loud. And as you said very annoying. When I installed it I used 80-90 and napa limited slip additive. At the 500 mile mark I drained it to inspect it and everything was fine, this time I used 80-90, but with the GM limited slip additive and now I barely hear it at all. Everyone says that its the best... I guess so. Hope this helps, it did for me!!!

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. I made an interesting discovery. If I disconnect the anti lock harness and the little sensor wire the noise stops which leads me to believe the anti lock must keep a constant pressure which affects this exciter ring. I'm used to driving w/o anti lock so maybe I'll leave it unhooked.
    Shawnboy

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by shawnboy on 02/13/02 01:10 PM.</FONT></P>

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally like my Auburn limited slip. It has worked pretty well. Personally I don't have any engagement noises, and I don't even know it is there most of the time. The only time I know it is there is when I step on the gas hard in a corner, and it chirps the inside tire, and of cousre offroad.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally would rather have the lockright in the back and the limited slip up front.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have an Auburn in my 10 bolt rear and love it. Changed the fluid around 500 miles and put AutoZone additive in there...bad idea. After a few days it started making strange noises and I had to drain it again, but this time I put the GM additive in it and it worked well...and then it leaked....changed it agian...only has about 8K on it, with probably 5 oil changes...cover was bent.

90K5

8. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I just think instead of spending more time and money on these 10 bolts I'll find a 60 and a 14 and play with those.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run Auburn Pro in my 89 10B front and 12B rear with no probs at either end......no rocks in Texas, mostly mud and gravelly back roads.....works like a champ....

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Have Auburn in my 12 bolt and it works flawlessly. Your right, a D 60 and a 14ff would be much better, but also very expensive. The right additive is definately important in that limited slip to keep strange noises away, but like others on this post, I usually dont know its there.
    -------------------------
    '77K5, 402 BB, TH350, NP203, D-44, 12 bolt...looking for a 14ff and a d 60, but who isnt....lol

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If its making noises there is a problem. Either there isn't L/S additive or it is crappy additive. I use the GM additive, and have never heard a sound from my auburn. I just go to the GM parts counter and get the addative. Its like $8 a bottle though, but the stuff works great.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.