Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auburn LSD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do Auburns have clutches that wear out? If so, what are the symptoms when they do?

Every time I turn into my driveway (an uphill tight turn), I get a sort of popping sound from the rear someplace. I've been thinking it has something to do with the springs articulating, but now I'm wondering if maybe it's the LSD clutches doing something.

I've got the good (stinky smelling) additive in there, but I could try adding some more... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Try giving jjlaughner a PM (although he'll probably end up reading this post). He's got an Auburn.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

No - they do not have clutch plates and disc's . They use a form of friction with a cone shapped side gear to the diff. housing . When they wear out that is it - it is time for a new diff.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No - they do not have clutch plates and disc's . They use a form of friction with a cone shapped side gear to the diff. housing . When they wear out that is it - it is time for a new diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly correct. I have an Auburn Pro-Series in my 12 bolt and I wish I had and Eaton instead. Mine pops and clicks whenever it gets up to temp and I turn corners. It is rather unnerving, but it works like it should.

The biggest down fall, like tarussell mentioned, is that they are not rebuildable. They essentially wear themselves out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ...the things you learn AFTER you buy one....grrr. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Exactly correct. I have an Auburn Pro-Series in my 12 bolt and I wish I had and Eaton instead. Mine pops and clicks whenever it gets up to temp and I turn corners. It is rather unnerving, but it works like it should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know I'm not alone anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It popped really bad for a while, until I put the GM additive in. Then I didn't notice it for a while... if that's what I'm actually hearing. I wonder how I can tell for sure.

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got Auburn Pro front and rear on my 89 10b/12b...I shoulda gone with an Eaton w/spring upgrade, or Tru Trac...

When mine makes noise, it sounds like it's grabbin' and releasin'....sorta a slow "shuddering" sound...happens only at parking lot speeds when I'm turning real tight...I've run this setup for about 4yrs now (60K?)

I run full synthetic lube and a little extra additive, both of which I change about once a year...I like the Auburn for the front, thinkin' I shoulda chosen different for the rear, but didn't know better at the time....sumbitch works tho.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The Auburn unit is a good and effective LSD , and fairly strong , but the " no rebuild " and limited life span just plain sucks . If you do go with the Eaton make sure you get the 800 lbs. pre-load diff . They come in three different levels of pre-load so becareful which one you get and watch how much additive you use . HTH , Tom

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I ran an auburn pro in a 12 bolt and had alot of problems with noise and popping sounds, even with aftermarket additives. I talked to a bunch of people and a couple of them told me to only use the GM additive with regular diff oil. So I went and bought a bottle and put it in and never heard from it again. I was pretty amazed! Just figured I'd pass this info on.

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I LOVE my auburn. I bit the dust on a couple gov-locks in the ten bolt.
    Purchased an Auburn from macromotive and installed it and it popped and clicked something feirce! Pulled it out took it to the Ft Wayne plant (I called and they refered me to that service place). Took it in, they tweeked it on the bench and I reinstalled. WORKS GREAT! Over 48K miles on it with 3.08's. I had a popping sound again about1K miles ago, I pulled the cover (oil looked great, everything was still in almost new shape). Put in some gear lube and that little bottle of GM limited slip and away I went. Come to find out the popping I'm hearing is a spring, it wasn't the dif. I'm looking for a auburn for a 12bolt to swap in with new front end next month (for the DD).
    I think their biggest problem is spring preloads. The place in FT Wayne had an axle setup on the bench and they 'installed it' and tested slip, pretty damn cool /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Only down fall I see to a 14bolt is no Auburn /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try giving jjlaughner a PM (although he'll probably end up reading this post). He's got an Auburn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont read EVERYTHING, I would be on here all day with the damn'd dial-up /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I do read most of them though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm running an Auburn in a Suburban 12 bolt rear end with moser axles. It seems to work very good and has had no problems.

12. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

i went through two of 'em, one was a 'spider blowing up like frag in a hooch, an' the other, a ring bolt cascading into oblivion taking the ring gear on it's way out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i know it wasn't the LSD fault but i was so over a LSD by then, i went an broke down an bought a Detroit. now i'm happy as a tick in a puddle of blood. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif