Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Audio idiot needs help and opinions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bnc04, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hi all, sorry thus is kinda long but I’m a real rookie on this stuff.

My Goal is to have a decent sounding system in my 88 K5. I plan on doing the following interior changes like installing an overhead console and an overhead storage shelf. While I’m inside and working on things, I want to upgrade the sound system.

Currently I have a Aiwa CT-X409 cassette deck with a remote 6 cd changer running through the FM modulator. I have pioneer 6x9’s in the doors and very old blaupunkt 110w 2 way speakers mounted up high and attached to the hardtop.

I’d like to get a low priced single sub, ( bazooka tube maybe?? ) and a low priced amp to run the tube and the 6x9’s. I will probably relocate the 6x9’s to the back somewhere and get rid of the blaupunkt’s. I then would like to add some speakers to the front probably attached to the storage shelf and pointing downward. What type do I need here? (Tweeter and mid range? )

Is my thinking all wrong? Does this have any chance of sounding decent?

Link to the Aiwa specs

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Aiwa%20CT-X409%20Car%20Cassette%20Player:1990294465:page=details;_ylt=AnYBthiIn4sWpFM_eZjt5E7pSHAD;_ylu=X3oDMTBsbXR2ZzdiBF9zAzU3NjkwMzQ1BHNlYwNiZ3NpYg--

School me please.

Thanks

Brett

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I dunno about those bazooka tubes. You can get a nice fat 12" and box and an amp tp run it at about 400 watts for $200. Name brand stuff too. Pioneer

It's gonna be tough to mount any speakers up high and not have them in the way, unless your really short.

Maybe do a plate on the front doors where the 6x9 cutouts are and run 6.5" or components

I have some 6x9 boxes sitting around if you need them, pay shipping and they're yours, well, maybe $5 hehehehe

May want to upgrade the deck if you want to run any speakers off of it and be loud. No big deal though if you amp the 6x9's, but an amp may be as mucha s a new Pioneer deck or similar

3. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

If you want a good system that sounds good get something like mine My Setup. Read that and see what I got. Does that Aiwa have audio outputs? If it doesn't get rid of it and get a nice Eclipse CD3424 and if you got the money get a 8424. The 8424 has some awsome power. Then get the setup like mine. It sounds really good.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ebay can be your friend. For a single sub, a 12" Kicker L7 would probley work. I'd also run a class "D" mono-block amp that is 2ohm stable. Try for around 800 watts at 2 ohms.

5. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Thanks guys, according to teh specs, the Aiwa has
    Connectors Number of Pre-amp Outputs1Number of Sub Pre-amp Outputs1RCA Connectors1 x audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 )Other Connectors Total (Free) / Type1 x audio line-in ( mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm )
    So I Was hoping to get a champ amp and sub to get a little bump and move the decent speakeers to the back. My thought on the overhead is with the lowered storage shelf, I could use something with a short mounting depth and place them up there pointing downward,, ( I am short...) hehehe...

So if I get like a bazooka or another sub that has it's own amp, I can use the other output for an amp for the other 4 speakers?

I like your setup joefl but I'm afraid thats way more dollars than I wanted to spend, I was hoping a few hundred tops in a sub, amp and two speakers. I know, it's not alot but it's what I have.

Thanks again,
    Brett

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What I'd recomend is some quality speakers for now. Don't waste your money on a crappy amp or sub(s). Save up till you can afford something good. I've bought the cheap crap in the past and was dissapointed. Don't waste your hard earned money on it. Stick $50.00 to $100.00 or what you can afford in a bank account till you can afford the better quality sub(s) and a good amp.

7. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hey ZP3R,, where in the hills do you live? We go to Hill City and Custer a few times a year to visit my wife's relatives.

I was going to forgo the sub and just get an amp to improve overall sound quality but thought maybe I could get a decent sub on a budget as well

If I save for a decent amp, what would I need for my setup? Estimated bucks? Again not looking for top of the line, more middle road stuff . If your earlier suggestions are middle of the road, I guess I will just save up. If there is something that is not as good but adequate can you provide suggestions?
    I can search on brand types with the suggested paramaters until I find what I need for the price I need.

Same for the sub... I dont want or need somthing too loud, I'm old but I do like to hear the bass at times.
    A mono amp runs one sub or two speakers?

If I get an amp now and save for the sub,, what type of amp will I need to drive 4 speakers and a sub? Sheesh this is all confusing!..

Thanks to all for taking the time to walk me through it
    Brett

8. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

I got my 1000W Kenwood amp on Ebay for 250 Dollars including shipping. Some of those square Kicker subs or some Pioneer are good cheaper subs. I recommend on getting a capacitor to save on the battery.

9. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

You want one amp for your subs and one for the door speakers. Get a mono amp for the subs. Get this 400W mono amp. A mono can run whatever you want to run in number of speakers. It is only $175 good quality Kenwood. It also comes with a 4 guage wiring set. Get this amp for door speakers. It is $100. For a sub or subs I would get (2) $65 Audiobahn, (1) Kicker Solobaric for $200. Or (2) Audiobahn's with a box for $200. PM me I could help yoiu out some more

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just outside of the Rapid City, city limits. Got to Hill City and Custer alot. This sounds like a nice deal But my first choice for a class D amp would be a MMATS too drive a Single Kicker L7 in a slot port box

11. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

ok, I'll chime in here on a cheap setup for you... move the 6X9's to the rear somewhere (not sure here as I have a 'Burban) put some capacitors on them to block out the deep bass (available at BestBuy or somewhere online) get some replacement speakeres for the dash (3.5's I think) and put capacitors on them as well... wire all 4 speakeres to the Aiwa Deck. Finally, get an amplifier capable of 1 channel operation and has built in subwoofer crossover (you'll want a couple hundred watts here) then get a subwoofer with an enclosure (8"-12"), Bazooka or similar is a good option and connect it to the amp and make sure to fire the bazooka into the corner of the vehicle.

Amp and 'zooka will run ya a couple hundred if you find them used on eBay.

When wiring the amp make sure to get a big enough power cable, don't skimp too much here.

If your careful and take your time installing everything you will be flat out suprised how good the system will sound. And you can always go crazy with additional amps for ear bleeding volume if so desired.

I have a similar system installed in the family Caravan except the sub is a Fosgate 12 with about 500 watts to it... my daughter always wants to borrow the van on the weekends to go out with friends because of the system and she hasent blown it up yet :-)

12. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    Inadvertantly you cleared up some of the confusion I had about 6x9's bass vs woofer bass vs the 2 way old blaupunk's I have in the back. I was thinking that all that bass would sound funny. I have never heard about wiring up caps to remove the bass from speakers..
    I have on order a 4 channel amp. KENWOOD KAC-6401 320 WATT 4 CHANNEL CAR AMPLIFIER WITH BUILT-IN DUAL HIGH-PASS AND LOW-PASS CROSSOVERS.
    My Current thought process is to ditch the old blaupunkts, move the 6x9's to the side panels just infront of the passanger seat and box them in behind the panel. Then I am getting an overhead shelf which I was thinking about placing the smaller 3-4 inch cone speakers into so that they faced down directly to the dash. Initially I would wire these all to the amp until I could get a SUB with another amp to add to the system. then I would wire up the caps so that the Sub supplied the Bass..
    Thoughts?

13. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Go to walmart and get a kit rated for your amp for $20, save on shipping.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you plan on more then one amp (Now or in future) I would get the heaviest wiring kit for multi amps. The one with a power-block. Easier then running 2 or more power wires to the battery.

16. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Is my stock alternator going to be able to handle all this?

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How big of amps are you going too use ?? Most of the time you can add caps, or batts for the amps and that takes care of it, but if you're running really big amps, you may want too upgrade your alt. I'm no expert by any means, just posting about I've seen with myown eyes.

18. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Hey Brett,

Ok, scrap wiring your front speakers to the amp, louder is not always better with small speakers (especially if you insist on putting them overhead... ;) )... best to use Aiwa Deck for power here. Next, take that woody and bridge it to 3 channels, and wire the rear 6X9s to two of the channels with the crossover blocking out the deepest of bass... then wire up a 10" sub of your choice to the remaining bridged channel and use the built in crossover to filter it for low pass.

This set-up requires you only getting caps for the front speakers. For a HUGE upgrade, get some angled kick panel speaker enclosures for the front and slap some 6 1/2 inchers in there and keep em on the Aiwa deck until you get or want another amp.

That wiring kit on eBay looks fine, 4 guage will work for that amp. And your alternator will probably never even know that amp is there... assuming here the alternator is in good working order.