Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Augh need some manual hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I know understand why people always rant about auto locking hubs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My truck has been making some bad sounding noises from the front axle lately. I have an 83 Jimmy with auto hubs. I was thinking the hubs are shot and that was causing the whine. Well, regardless of whether or not it's the whine the hubs are definently shot. Baltimore got a bunch of snow today so I was out and about yanking people out of drifts. My @!@#$%% truck kept putting itself in 2wd. Rather embarassing to be pulling someone then all of the sudden find yourself in 2wd and stuck hehe.

Sooo.. how much $$ am I looking at to convert the front to manual? Thanks.

2. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

PS.. would shot auto hubs cause a loud whirring/whine?

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You are looking at about $75 bucks or so... might find em for less... maybe more. Depends on your area. You don't need anything else kit wise it looks like to install em. And when you get the hubs they will have 6 screws in the cover usually and the ones you have on now will have 5.... it's nothing to worry about. You will be replacing the whole hub assembly so it's not an issue... I was like wtf when I swapped mine out so I always mention that in case you are anything like me... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, the whirring is normal.
    When the engine is turning 2500RPM trying to pull you, and the hubs finally engage, you won't forget it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Thanks, have to go shopping. Yea, if I didn't know beforehand that would have had me alternatively puzzled/irritated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, when they do decide to start working it's quite a jolt hehe.