Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Authoritative 85/86 Computer Carb Info/Some TCC stuff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 21, 2001.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    At least its authoritative if the '85/'86 parts manual is correct.

The only carbs to get "computerized" in '85 and '86 were CA models.

As someone mentioned earlier, in '85, those carbs DID have a temperature input, but the temp input is only for a cold/hot "switch" which governed how much the power piston could open, and it was a one temp switch, opening at 170 degrees. Apparently this is the TPS (throttle position sensor) only carb. Lockup IS tied into the ECM on these models, but again, it appears that ONLY CA models received the ECM.

1986 saw both the Mixture Control (MC) and TPS on the CA only trucks.

TPS was not tied into the TCC circuit in '86. The 4th gear pressure switch however, IS tied into the TCC switch IN THE ECM. (should be CA only obviously) Outside of that application, I don't know how GM wired the switches if present.

My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
  2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Dec 16, 2000
    Thank you for posting that! [​IMG] I have an 86 and live in CA and was wondering about this and had no luck finding the info....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"
  3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Aug 8, 2000
    A buddy of mine had a CA '86 K5. He is a Service Manager at a Toyotta dealership, but has 30+ years in dealerships, including lots of GM factory training and experience. When his carb started acting up he talked to his Chevy dealership contacts about this and they all said to buy a new one, not a rebuilt, unless he was willing to deal with numerous recurring problems. The consensus was that this CA only carb was one of Chevy's bad ideas. So he bit the bullet and bought a new one. If I remember correctly, it was around $560, with his discount. Ouch!!

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".