Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Accident, how does this insurance thing work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 5, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Some old timer smacked into my truck yesterday. He was turning left, stopped, and when I went straight he smacked right into the side of my truck. Its purely cosmetic damage, so I'm kind of thinking I could take the money and buy the tubing bender I want or some other tools I need.
    Anyway I've never been in an accident where I wasn't at fault. :haha: How does it work? I called my insurance company last night and submited a claim, not even sure if thats what I should have done.

It wasn't a bad accident and the guy admitted it was his fault many many times, so we just exchanged addresses, numbers, and insurance info. Dad flipped out about that, but I had a train to catch that I was already running late for, and it was clearly his fault. Dad asked "what is to stop him from claiming it was your fault?" Me-"the fact that his front end hit my driver's door...."

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now that you've called your insurance company you need to call his. Just because you report it to your insurance doesn't mean he is going to do the same and until his insurance company knows about the accident nothing is going to happen. Been through this before where the person did not report the accident and my insurance had to make a few calls. Here in Ca. in the past the insurance companies cut the check to both you and the shop making the repair so that you couldn't just pocket the cash. Don't know if they still try that or not but definately something to think about.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you did the right thing, got all information necessary and doesnt sound like there was enough damage or any injuries to constitute a police report being filed. The fact that the insurance companies will investigate will determine whos fault it was, and it sounds pretty cut and dry in this case. Where there any witnesses? They can be usual in determining an accurate account in what happened, as far as was your light green to go? Was there a turn signal at the location of the accident? Were you speeding? Etc...

Make sure you do what 4high said and call his insurance to inform them of the accident. Sometimes they or definitely your company will send out an adjuster to take a look at your vehicle, note damage and report back to insurance. It depends on the company as to how they will handle the payout. They may want to pay the shop directly and they have the right to do that. You do need to get a couple of quotes on cost to repair damage (doesnt hurt to find a nice "expensive looking" repair shop and then you can fax or however send the quote to his insurance company. Get a couple of quotes, most insurances will want to see atleast 2-3 quotes. Sounds like its pretty cut and dry as to whose fault. One of the biggest things is to is if his insurance gives you a hard time about who is at fault you can kindly remind them that their driver admitted fault many times on scene. Good luck let us know how it goes.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Amen to this..plus, calling his insurance company is how you can find out if he handed you bogus info or if the policy was recently cancelled..

ask me how I know..

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Here's what I did the last time I had to deal with "the good hands people" on an accident.

Informed the body shop that I would pay for the repairs myself--the way I wanted it--not the way the ****in' adjuster wanted to....

Then I let the insured know via registered mail that I was unhappy with the way his insurance company was handling the claim and that I intended to sue him personally. Enclosed was a copy of the intent to sue from the lawyer.

It's amazing how quick the insurance company was willing to work with me ....the repairs and the rental car were paid 100 % the day I went to pick up the car at the body shop....:D

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

YOU ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!!!!!

Doesn't matter if it was clearly his fault, a report should be filed, also if he does have bogus info the cop would have picked him up on it.

Theres no reason to never call the cops, look at the back of the insurance card and look at the procedure after an accident... what does it say?

7. 4X4HIGH

In California you can call the cops all you want and unless there was bodily injury or death they will not respond to the scene and will only take a report over the phone if you ask them to. Also in California it was not a requirement to call the police unless there was public property damaged or over $500.00 in damages and that figure changed in recent years as well to i think $1500.00.

8. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

my dad sold insurance for years, and he has always told me that the insurance HAS to pay you the amount of damage, if that is what you want, I had an insurance company try to cut a check to ma AND the body shop, and my dad made a call to them and straightened it out. If you want to repair it yourself, or pocket the cash, the insurance has to pay for the damage.

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I'd be moving out of California, but then again, I probably never would have moved there in the first place. :D

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, better to call the cops. Face to face a guy might say "yeah, that was my fault... sorry man, lets exchange insurance info etc" and seem all cool and crap... but what happens when you get a call the next day and come to find out that the guy told his insurance comp that it was ALL your fault. Now its "he said vs she said"... not the kind of crap I want to deal with personally. Its pretty rare, but these things can get ugly. Why risk it? Especially with all the insurance scams going on these days? I don't even watch 20/20 etc and I've caught blurbs about these. Don't be a victim when its hella easy not to be. Make a cop drop his donut and come do some work. Nothing wrong with that, its why they get paid.

btw, $500 doesn't get you a new bulb for a headlight in a good high quality body shop anymore. Any actual collision is going to be over that 'minimum'...

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he said "Public" property damage, not personal. Meaning a light pole, street sign, etc.

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I was in Cali a few years back on a business trip. In LA. I was in a rental car. This guy rear ended me really bad, car totaled type of bad. Trunk lid up to the back window. I called the rental car place, do I need to call the cops? (In Michigan where I live, you always call the cops and have to have a report to even think about calling in an insurance claim) Their reply "What for? Is anyone injured" I say no "Why would you call the cops?"
    Turns out I was only 2 miles from a branch office of the rental place, the guy who hit me was in a truck and had chains, so I had him pull the metal away from the back tires and limped the car to the rental place. Got a new car within 10 minutes and never heard a word about the whole thing again.

The really funny part comes in the second week of the trip. I get rear-ended a second time! This time not so bad, just a few scrapes.

Whats wrong with you Cali drivers!!!!!!

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats right, and most of the time unless somebody is injured you can call the cops all you want and they wont bother to come out and do anything. They will tell you that you may come into the station and file a report in office but they wont send cops out to the accident location. Pretty crappy but thats the way it is here in socal. Especially if its on the freeway, chp is too busy taking care of real much more serious accidents and writing tickets.:rolleyes:

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shiot, I really, really doubt that the city/state could erect a stop sign for less than $500. The government can spend $500 on a hammer... how much is a fabricated sign + installation (got to be a fortune) going to run? :grin:

j

15. 4X4HIGH

To clarify what i said and meant is that anytime public property is damaged you need to call the cops. If there is more than $500.00 property damage to either vehicle (raised to 1500.00 i think) you also need to call the cops. Not sure why they want to be called since they won't come out anyways. :confused: