Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Accident Update, Insurance thoughts needed again... (Update, 3-4, at the end)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 14, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The other guys insurance company came out and put together an appraisal for me. It came to $1870. I had our body shop come out and give me an estimate. Their estimate came to $3440.

I compared the two side by side and can't see where the big difference is. The big thing I see is that the insurance appraiser missed the fact that the left front fender flare needs to be replaced and the fender needs slight work, as well as paint. Problem is, they just called me on my way home today and left a voicemail. The company sent the $1870 check today. I know I can't cash it until I get the whole thing worked out, but not sure what I should do.

Thinking I should go to the body shop and have them do an estimate JUST for the fender work that the appraiser missed, fax it to them and have them cut me a check for that as well.

Thoughts?

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

call them and tell them that you are havin g your body shop do the work and thats the quote, end of story. I had something similar and they wanted to give the lower quote obviously. I told them I have dealt with this body shop and he is the only one who will touch my rig. I got the higher $$$

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might try going to an "approved" shop for another estimate if you have not. That would be one approved by the ins. company you are trying to get $$ from.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I would be glad to do that, but the nearest "approved" shop, is about 45 minutes away....

5. cbbr

For $1500, if its takes an hour to do an estimate, that's $500/hr.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Take it to whatever body shop you want to do the work. Body shops work with insurance guys everyday. Give the shop your insurance mans contact info and let them work it out. Make sure you tell the shop exactly what you want done as well so there are no suprises. Once done you will pic up the truck, give them the check and they will file a (cant remember the nam) claim and the insurance company will pay the body shop the differance. Have done the both times when somone hit my truck. No problems

7. cbbr

Sometimes the ins companies will fight a shops estimate if it is not on their list. They rarely fight a shop that is on their list.

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

This is very true, but the good thing about it is that by law they can't tell you where to go. And once it is where you want it to be the headache is between the shop and insurance company instead of you.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

If I remember correctly hes trying to pocket the cash though.

Id fax the entire quote for your company to the insurance comp. along with a letter of intent to sue if they dont cough uo the cash....

You'll have your check mailed out that day, for the full amount

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, differant story completely then.

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

they often write you a smaller check, and want teh body shop to contact them for the remainder after the work is completed. That way you can't pocket the full amount if thats what you chose to do.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yea, I am going to repair the truck, but not fully repair. Likely just replace the door(the major damage), pop a few dents, and get some paint work done.

I'm looking at it as, I have been needing cash for some tools around the garage(plasma cutter, welder, tube notcher, and bender) this money will help me out quite a bit. Heck the original estimate(1870) is almost exactly the price of the welder I am looking to buy, haha. Has to be a sign.

13. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

When I wrecked mine they totaled it because of the year model vs damage. They offered me 1800.00. After laughing I got all my receipts for both winches, tires, rims, lift kit, engine rebuild receipts, axles, etc. and faxed them in.

Two days later they called me and offered me 6200 for it. I told them I wanted to know the buy back price. They called back about 30 minutes later and said 1,000. I ended up with 5180.00 and got to keep the truck. Bought a front clip (91) and made a new bumper for about 400.00. Put a new lift, tires, rims, and 1 tons under it with the rest.... Oh Yea, I took the wife out to eat to since she did the yelling when dealing with the ins. guy.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

But now you have a salvage title, not a big deal if you plan on keeping it...

But for the record an insurance company HAS to fix the damage, even if it costs more than the vechicle is worth. That is if it is fixable...

15. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

NOPE. No salvage title. They would not fix the truck because of the year model they would not even consider fixing it. However since I outright owned the truck and the damage was less than 70% less than the final figured value, they can't legally total the title.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you have the right to take your rig to whatever body shop you chose... "The Man" at the insurance company is trying to get out of their obligation to fix your car by spending the absolute least amount of $ they can get away with. Don't fall for that ****, and don't cash their crappy check. Go to YOUR fav body shop, have them fix everything to preloss condition and the insurance company MUST pay for it.

j

17. cbbr

Your insurance company does not have to pay whatever the bill is in many states, only their approved shop rate to fix it. And they can total it if the costs exceed a certain percentage of the value which varies.

Be careful with the cavalier attitude and read the contract carefully. And suing them won't generally help for that small amount because of the expense and time involved even if you win. That coupled with the fact that most companies have in house atty's that are paid a salary whether they litigate or not means that a suit is not much of a threat.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yea so anyway, our body shop and my Dad worked it out for what needed to be added to the 1870. Well Dad called them up, they said "No". They said they will not pay anymore than the 1870 until I have the truck in the shop with a bill in hand for the work, they will pay the difference. My thought, why the hell would I want to go into a shop, get work done, hoping someone else is going to pay for it???? I need to talk to Dad, our insurance man was suppossed to call them up and inform them they can't do that, haven't heard anything yet.

19. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Remember that CBBR is he who would be known as "the man", he knows of witch he speaks. FYI.

20. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The reason they won't pay you teh higher amount by check is they don't want you to pocket it. They always estimate low, then have the body shop send an invoice/bill them or something for the rest.

That way, if you want to try and pocket the money, you don't get the full value.