Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AUTO-DARK WELDING HELMET, who has them, what to look for?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jul 5, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm wanting to get one, I'm starting to do alot more welding and this old helmet of my pop's is p!ssing me off.
    I'm looking for an autodarking welding helmet, something nice and that will last a while and not kill my eyes, Would like to stay under $100 but I spring for one a little higher if ita 'that' much better.

I NEED YOUR INPUT /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    What to look for, speeds, prices, places???

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the biggest factor i believe is the speed of which it autodarkens..

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got 3 Jackson Auto darkening hoods and I love them. They are variable darkness and variable delay. I think they were $250-300 new a few years ago. I dont know what they go for now.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

just ebay'd 'jackson welding' the hoods ar still 288 thats way out of my range! I'm an unemployeed weekend welder /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I got a overly-priced but cheep auto-helmet off the truck (Matco, If I recall)... and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Still can't weld for beans - but at least I'm still on the mark when I pull the trigger. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If I were to do it over again, I'd get one with a bigger visual element. Allthough the thin 1" X 4" element I have now works just fine. I'd stick with a no-frills package (No time adjustment, No darkening adjustement). No sence in wasting your money on something you'll set up once and forget about.

Check out Harbor-Freight - they might have just the ticket

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've got the Jackson EQC Executive 3 in 1...It costs a pretty penny- $250-$300 depending where you look. It's got the biggest viewing area of any auto hood on the market- 2.4"x3.8". Its alittle expensive and doesn't like inverter style TIG machines- I went through 3 of them while using an inverter power supply before I relaized what was going on. Jackson has a good warranty policy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It is a little heavy. 1/25,000 darening speed. Infinatley variable shade's from 9-13. Sensitivity control, "delay" control, this controls how long the hoods stays dark after the arc terminates, Also has "weld", "grind" & "torch cut" modes- Weld mode is for regular welding, auto darkening etc etc, Grind is a fixed shade 3 for use as a face shield, Torch cut is a fixed shade 5 for use as cutting torch/plasma cutter goggles. Pretty good hood if you have the $$$...I'll never go back to a conventional hood- I do production TIG and MIG welding for a living, and this thing allows me to produce alot faster than I could with a flip down style hood. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Its alittle expensive and doesn't like inverter style TIG machines- I went through 3 of them while using an inverter power supply before I relaized what was going on.

[/ QUOTE ] What happens to them? Do they stop darkening or what??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You can get auto-darkening replacement lenses for regular helmets for under a hundred bucks. I'd get one that has adjustable sensitivity so that you can grind with it on and not worry about it turning dark. Some also have adjustable darkness so you can go from shade 8 to 14 or so for different applications. A lot of the newer ones are powered by the arc so that you don't have to worry about batteries. I'd try to borrow one or try one before you spend the money, no two are the same. If you practice with a regular hood you'll do just fine, a auto won't make you a better welder, it'll just make things a little easier and faster. You get what you pay for and you are not going to get a decent auto dark (complete) helmet for under $200. If you're on a budget you may want to buy a new standard hood instead. Be sure that you have the proper shade filter lens (probably shade 10, it depends on the app.) and that your cover lenses are clean. Dirty lenses can make welding difficult to say the least.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its alittle expensive and doesn't like inverter style TIG machines- I went through 3 of them while using an inverter power supply before I relaized what was going on.

[/ QUOTE ] What happens to them? Do they stop darkening or what??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The think it's the high frequency arc start that makes it freak out- On the ones I had, they just kepth flickering on and off about a billion times a second. And it turned orange too. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I'd go with Harbor Freight if you're on a tight budget. I picked up a decent one for $69 on sale. Adjustable from shade 9-13, solar powered with battery backup, and 1/25000 darkening speed. I was a little skeptical about it being from Harbor Freight but it works. Just remember to always test it each day before you start welding just to be safe. Here is the model I bought.