Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Diagnosis from CD Rom

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Mar 30, 2000.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have experience with CD Roms on auto repair/diagnosis? Alldata offers a CD Rom for '1982-'1987 GMC for about $25. Target Training Sytems sells a CD Rom for about $300.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The AllData CDROM sucks. I tried it and wasn't happy with it. Half of the info is missing you would normally find in a book. You're better off with a $10 manual. Not sure about the $300 CDROM.

Shawn

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

The last shop I worked at had Alldata. The Alldata cost the shop $600 a month for the service. Where I am at now we use Mitchel on Demand and the original setup was $5000 and I'm not sure what the quarterly updates cost. Never worked with any other setups but both the Alldata we had and the Mitchel on Demand are great diagnostic tools. Of course the "book" can only get you so far.

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Hey neighbor,

I bought the Popular Mechanics/ALLDATA CDROM @ K-Mart. I like it especially for the link to possible TSB's. Can't make a call on if I'd say it's better than a manual. Does have a few more schematics and diagnosis/tests than Haynes/Chilton. I still like my Haynes and Chilton books though. Saving up for a Service Manual via Helm, Inc. If you have any specific question, give me a shout.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've used the Alldata/K-mart special and I think it's very usefull . I also have factory manual thats great .One thing I like about the Cds is you can print up the information on paper . Makes it easier than holding a big manual

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I appreciate all the responses and have decided there is room in my "tool museum" for the $25 Alldata CD rom! Thanks.