Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto hub conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 6, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Can anyone give me some good, solid info on how to convert the auto hubs on my 87 to manual hubs? Parts needed, rough prices, special tools, whatever. I'm new to 4-wheeling (see my post under Grey Thunder's "curiosity...blazers" if you'd like the somewhat boring details), so forgive my ignorance; it's unintentional. I'm a Marine helicopter mechanic, so I'm not afraid to tear into something as long as I have some guidance on how to get it all back together. Also, what is a good manual hub, Milemarker Premium stainless steel, Warn Premium, or something else? Should I go ahead and replace the brake rotors at the same time? Anyone have any thoughts on slotted/crossdrilled rotors? 90% of my driving is street (daily driver). Thanks for any help you can give.

Semper Maintenance!

2. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Get a set of Warn Premiums. Don't even need to take the wheels off to swap them in. 5 torx head screws and two retaining rings is all there is to it. All you need is the right torx driver, small needle nose pliers, and some grease for the new hubs. You can get a set through Carparts.com for about $55 (they have a 1/3 off deal http://www.carparts.com/gift. Should be able to use code "<font color=red>four003</font color=red>" 'til end of March or check a new copy of "4 Wheel & Off-road" for a code good 'til end of April) Easy swap....

Good Luck,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Like Steve said. Nothing to it. Go with the Warn Premium. I've tried the MileMarker and Superwinch. Not real pleased with either. This is an upgrade that I feel is MANDATORY, and since it's easy, get on it. It's a good way to get your feet wet.

Kyle
    89K5