Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto-hub removal...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Oct 28, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok, maybe im a dumbass, i dunno, but i gotta replace the bearings on my 87 with the auto hubs, or i think i do, cuz i was muddin the other day then that night there was a vibration type noize that was loud and coming from the front left, and then somehow i lost COMPLETE braking power in the same wheel, but the next mornin, i drove hom from a friends house, and not a think wrong, and so far its whoopin my ass, any ideas? i got the cover off and the small bearings right inside, im lookin in my chilton and this thing is mixin up the manual and auto hub removal together or something, but its confusing me, and i can't figure out anything, and im pissed and stressed.. and what is a hub nut wrench?? and when do i need to use it, i obviously have no experience with hubs, so as much help as possible is appreciated. or is this just too much for me (but i really can't afford this so id rather do it myself) thanks...

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do only one side at a time. A hub nut wrench is a large "socket" with prongs on it to engage the "hub nut". Clean out the hub with rags so you can see what you are doing. You can get by with out a hub nut socket with patience and a hammer/screwdriver BUT IMO its worth it to go down to the auto parts store and buy one - they all carry them.

3. XHitman396

ok i figured out for sure its my bearings now, but i need some real help in whether i can do this, the hub is the only problem, i have no experience with hubs, but some with mechanics, will i be able to do this by myself? are these pieces hard to keep track of, all 31 of em, or is it just intimidating? anyone know where i can get step by step directions? your help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

Just changed the rotors and calipers on mine after you open it up it is really simple in side there.

5. XHitman396

come on guys, i bet 60% of the people here know how to easily take apart an automatic hub, and im really needin the help now, a simple "yes you can/can't complete this task with minimal skill" would help gravely.thx

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I have never had or worked on an auto hub, but I have never been afraid to tackle anything so, I would say go ahead, and if you have questions, you will find answers here.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I pulled and replaced mine as soon as I got it home. You can do it.