Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto hubs bad???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Mar 27, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My front driveshaft is not on the truck...My wheels are not turning because the hubs are disengaged. Anyway, when I'm driving down the road, I'll hear a grinding noise coming from the front end that varies with speed. When I hit the brakes, it stops, and when I let go, it'll alternate to the other side of the truck. Is it the hubs or something else??

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

all you have to do to see if it is the hubs is get a flat head screwdriver. it is rather easy. pull the cover. if it is messed up replace them with manual hubs. if not clean them up and put LOTS of marine grease in them. helps keep any water out.
    then look at your bearings. jack up the front end. both sides at once and see if you can move the hub assy. take off the tire, yes its a pain. but it will help.
    that is just for starters.
    Grant

3. 89GMCSuburban

I'll check it tomorrow, it's getting too late to go work on it. Thanks for the advice

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

welcome
    grant

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I suggest that you just junk them ASAP. They will fail when you need 4wd the most.

6. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

My '84 did the same thing with auto hubs. I would have to come just short of a complete stop for the grinding to quit. After I pulled the autos out and installed Warn Premiums, it stopped.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If they are not fully disengaging then something most likely is worn inside. I repaired many will at the dealership. When in good condition they work very nice on a road truck. We had another tech that snow plowed with a late '80s blazer with the auto hubs. Once a year he'd pull them off clean, relube and install. Didn't have a problem even going from forward to reverse.

Now on the lube they DO NOT recomend grease on the auto hubs. There is a small friction clutch that is supposed to have a special grease and the little "bicycle" bearing takes a small amount of wheel bearing grease. The entire unit should be dipped into ATF. Pull it out of the ATF, let some excess run of and reinstall.

I plan on running auto hubs on my D60 as a driver. I have warn and spicer lockouts and full time plates too choose from as well. When we go to the truck pulls I'll most likely install the spicers for that.

8. 89GMCSuburban

Thanks everone!!! It was the hubs, they have been replaced with the Warn Premiums. $64.99 at my local parts store.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good job. You'll be very happy with the Warns. Mine have been fail free for nearly 2 years.