Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Hubs: How To

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Feb 1, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey, i did a search on this but i cant come up with an answer. I am trying to just get the axle shafts outta this 10bolt so im taking apart the automatic hubs.. cept i got to this point, and i cant go anywhere else.... I got all the lil snap rings off the center piece... and i really have no clue what to do from here, i was working on it for a while. any idea on what to do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I see a snap ring on the outer part of the hub that you can take off

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

See those little nubs sticking out the side 10 o'clock . Squeeze those and pull out , its a clip .

Do it in daylight . At night in Marvs backyard getting eaten by mosquitos , they don't like to come out :thumb:

4. stockk5

are you talking about the 2 lil things coming outta the hub there? cuz those dont move anywhere other than in towards each other cuz when i pull on them.. they just stay.. hmm ill have to try again tmrow

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If they don't want to cooperate , use a pic , or a small screwdriver as well as some pliers until you get it out .

Or try to grab it with a vise grip and just yank it . Your not putting those back on , right ?

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

they will stay, but squeeze them together, then try to pull the piece the cover screws to off

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Get a repair manual for your truck, tear a strip 1/4 X 2 from one of the first or last pages of the book. Use that strip to make a "U" to fit into the mouth of a smallish duckbill pliers, a little tacky grease might hold it in place. Use the tips of the pliers to squeeze those two wire ends together. Its a little tricky to try to keep the wire tips from springing out. While you have the two tips clamped, you can pull the inner splined circular piece out with the wire. Once they are out, check out how the wire piece retains the hub.

8. stockk5

Hey well i tried squeezing those 2 lil things together and pull as hard as i could, nothing happens,, i squeezed the 2 lil things together and then tried pulling some crap from inside the hub out.. nothing moves. i really need these axles out soon so i can scrap the housing.. any more tips? thanks

9. 85_k5

85_k5 Registered Member

Take two of the little bolts that hold your hub on and thread them in opposite each other. They will help in pulling it out. Use one hand to pull on them and the other to squeeze the snapring. Sometimes there can be a good suction from the grease, or corrosion of the aluminum and steel which might be causing it to be stuck.

10. stockk5

hey well i tried it again and it finally worked thanks a ton guys.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I forgot that one, good point.:D