Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AUTO HUBS QUESTION?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ANTMAN, Feb 18, 2001.

1. ANTMAN

ANTMAN Registered Member

I have an 1982 GMC JIMMY with auto locking hubs.
    A friend says by switching to manuals i will increase
    my gas mileage by 2 to 3 mpg. Now while changing
    tranny fluid over weekend i decided to mark my front drive
    shaft and front u joints with welders keel when i drove
    it for several miles i checked my marks and found nothing
    had moved. So if the drive shaft in front and front axles are not turning how is changeing to manual hubs going to help?

several miles

ANTMAN

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well he's smoking something because you're right, the front driveshaft doesnt move in 2 wheel. I strongly recomend the making the switch to manual hubs. The auto hubs like to disengage and engage at the worst possible times. One could engage at highway speeds and you can say good by to you're driveline. One could disengage in four low and tear up your front end. Manuals maybe not be as convenient but they are more reliable. You lock em in and you have instant four wheel, you dont have to move the tires to get them to engage. As soon as you unlock them you're outta four wheel, no backing up 10 feet like with the autos.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I think your friend might be confused and thinking of with NP203's and full time 4wd. If the auto hubs are working properly they will disengage just the same as manuals.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

manual hubs probably will not help gas mileage but by switching to a manual hubs you can just lock them and go and not have to wory if the are working or not

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

So, if you have manual hubs, and want to go to 4 wheel drive you don't have to put the shifter to 4 wheel high? Just turn the hubs to 4 Wheel drive? Also how much do they run $$$?

<font color=orange> When was the last time you were Jagermeistered?</font color=orange>

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Huh? You still need to shift to 4wd. The hubs are just a disconnect for the driveline to eliminate moving parts. You can keep your hubs locked in forever if you so choose(at the cost of more wear/ poor MPG) and in 2wd. They can cost as little as $50 for cheapies or as much as $80 for good ones. Unless you are hard on your stuff cheapies are fine

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

7. UseYourBlinker

I made my first question sound like I was retarted, sorry bout that....Is there any special tools needed to do the swap?

<font color=orange> When was the last time you were Jagermeistered?</font color=orange>

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

An allen set, some sort of pointed probe or a real small screwdriver, snap ring pliers are nice. Thats about it

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

9. UseYourBlinker

Blazer Boy, special officer Doofy reporting for Duty...That movie is the sh!t. Anyways thanks for the info guy's