Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto hubs tip/question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. Just wanted to pass on some info and maybe even get an explanation on why it happened.

When I got stuck over the weekend (boy that was a long story), I was in 4W-Lo and was trying to back up. My hubs didn't lock so I was effectively in 2wd. I figured it was just the auto hubs not engaging after I chaged directions.

But when I shifted up into 4W-HI to cut the torque so I would stop spinning, my hubs locked and I was back in 4WD.

So it's just something to try out in the field. Any one who can explain it, I would love to hear it.

Also, anyone know of some detailed instructions on putting in Warn premium hubs (I bought em yesterday off eBay in light of the weekend).

Thanks!!!

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Ditch the autos...

As far as I know, the autos "sense" axle shaft and wheel rotation to lock up. Changing directions causes them to unlock and relock briefly. If you get stuck in 2WD with no forward movement, 4WD is a pipe dream due to no forward or rearward momentum.

That's how it was explained to me long ago...

As far as replacing them with a set of manuals..pull the autos out, put the inner manual in, snap ring on the axle shaft and hub, put the cap on, tighten and go wheelin'!

Took me all of 20 minutes to do it all on my truck...

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure that neither front tire was spinning? I've seen people swear that their "4WD" wasn't working, because they could see that the left front wheel wasn't spinning. What they couldn't see from the drivers seat was that the right front wheel was spinning like mad! [​IMG]

If indeed neither tire was spinning, then it's time to deep-six the auto hubs. The Warn Premiums are an excellent choice and very easy to install. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm sure neither wheel was spinning. For one, the guy I was out with (whose truck was also stuck) was in front, pushing. Second, as soon as I shifted into 4W-Hi, I started chunking sand with one tire.

Hopefully I will have the hubs in for next time I go out. Glad to hear it's an easy install.

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>